header-bento_nobynoby.jpg

July 28, 2011

in stuffed stuff

Stuffed stuff: plush Pyth
Created and stuffed: July 2011

Just about a week ago from today, an XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) game named “Bastion” by Supergiant Games came out. Derek and I have been waiting for its release since we played it at PAX East this year.

I played it first on the day it came out, beat it the next day, and I immediately started playing it again. Then Derek played it. He already beat it twice and is ready for the third time. Even though you follow a story in the game, it’s a very rare type of action-RPG which has great replay value.

Derek wrote a review on Bastion on his blog so you can read about the game in detail there, but if you don’t want spoilers, it’s basically a action roleplaying game but during the game, the narrator will narrate your actions as they happen. The game has a very beautiful painterly art style and great background music. The songs in the game are especially intoxicating.

Among many awesome looking characters, there’s an item called “Plush Pyth” in the game. In the game, Pyth is the bull god of commotion and order in the realmn of Caelondia. The Pyth you encounter in the game is more like a mechanical bull, but this plush form of Pyth is just so adorable that I had to make it into a real plush.

plush Pyth reference photo

It probably doesn’t look like it at all but this probably was one of the most complicated patterns I’ve ever made. I don’t think I ever made that many “practice pieces” before the final one. It’ll be too long to write the process in here, so I’ll write up how I usually make patterns later with some photos. After all the pattern tweaking I was left with: a big dark brown Pyth, a small extra head of Pyth, and the final version which is a small ligher brown Pyth. This was all in addition to the countless extra limbs and bodies I had made from felt. You can’t really see the tail in the game so I had to guess what it’d look like. I hope it’s not too far off.

stuffed stuff: plush Pyth from Bastion

Once the body was done, I went looking for big buttons for the eyes. I really didn’t think I’d find them, but my go-to button place in the garment district in NYC had the perfect buttons! This is why I love NYC. The only problem was that they only came in black or white, so I had to get spray paint to paint the buttons. The color was called “Dolphins” which I thought it was kinda funny.

stuffed stuff: plush Pyth from Bastion

After the paint was dry, I tied yellow yarn onto each button and sewed them on. I would’ve loved to use leather string or something but I’ll save that for the next time I make it with more accurate fabric and material.

stuffed stuff: plush Pyth from Bastion

This little plushy Pyth is now ready to be adopted, hopefully by the game development studio, Supergiant Games. It’s just a little something from me for making an awesome and wonderful game like Bastion.

If you have an Xbox 360, go download (or check out demo even) on XBLA! They’re currently working on the PC version to be released later this year.

stuffed stuff: plush Pyth from Bastion

Here's a sneak preview of the next post!

Someone made another character from Bastion, a floating tadpole looking thing called a “Squirt” so check it out on her blog! It’s beautifully made.

For more pictures of this plush, visit stuffed stuff: Pyth plush from Bastion set!

You can also check out more stuffed stuff on my flickr.

arixystixNo Gravatar July 28, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Hi! Thanks for the link to my Squirt Plush! I put a link in my post for you as well. Love the Pyth plush! He turned out adorable!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar July 29, 2011 at 11:50 am

Thank you for putting a link to my post on your blog! Your Squirt plush is sooo adorable! The shape, color, the cuteness of it… everything is spot on! And congratulations on being featured on Joystiq!! Keep up the great work! :)

AikoVenusNo Gravatar August 2, 2011 at 2:30 am

Both the game and this plush look great! I’ve been too busy writing stories and making pillows to make some characters from one of my favorite games but you’ve inspired me! I also just absolutely love the little tags and the fabric eyes you put on them. Maybe I should find some spray paint if I can’t find the right buttons…heh. ^^

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar August 9, 2011 at 9:33 am

Bastion is awesome! It’s not too long so that you can beat it in a couple of sittings. I highly recommend it to anyone! I do like the fabric eyes for its soft and crafty look, but custom made buttons make it look more professional. ;) I don’t know why I never thought of spray painting pieces like this until now. Some colors even come in a smaller spray can too.

esdeeNo Gravatar August 6, 2011 at 11:15 am

I had only JUST finished reading all 69 pages of your blog and I dare say I’m inspired. So much so that I’m going to be trying to make some sushi rice tomorrow. (step by step) Will have to go out to get seaweed and clear wrap. Looking forward to go through your blog again for tips on sushi and ESPECIALLY those sushi balls.

And this plushie … 1. it’s a cow! My fave animal! 2. Plushies are always awesome.
I loved the earlier plushie you made of the lion head fish creature … superb way of creating the “wrinkles” hehe.

All the best and congrats on the engagement. It’s sooo romantic! Esp the fact that he proposed in Ghibli Museum! <3

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar September 19, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Sorry for the late reply!
I’m so glad that you enjoy my blog! I’d love to know how your sushi rice was! :D

CrumbzNo Gravatar September 5, 2011 at 10:42 am

Gods have no need for trinkets…. but the kid ain’t no god.

JerNo Gravatar September 14, 2011 at 6:56 am

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!?!!!
But really how much can i buy one for? i love it heaps.

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar September 19, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I’m glad you like the plush! Unfortunately, I don’t sell them. :/ Perhaps you can bug the guys at Supergiant Games! :P

StephanNo Gravatar January 12, 2012 at 6:26 am

The uras fear the gods. we turned them into toys, put their faces on our wall

KevinNo Gravatar January 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Would you be willing to release the template if others were thinking about making one for themselves?

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar January 24, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Sorry! The patterns will not be made available. If you’d like to make one, I’d recommend starting with a simple Teddy bear plush and modifying it. Good luck!

ZulfNo Gravatar January 29, 2012 at 8:20 am

So it seems no matter how hard I search I cannot find anyone else that makes them but you.
Shame because I was gonna try to buy one for 80-120$
Andway thats beside the point since they arent for sale..THIS IS AMAZING
I absolutely love the design and all you went off is that little invenory picture<3
Great work and I hope these get sold in the future
-Zulf

ZulfNo Gravatar January 29, 2012 at 8:22 am

*Anyway.
*Inventory.
Sorry about the typo’s xD

KrayolaNo Gravatar March 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm

SO CUTE!
I was curious if you would be able to maybe email me how you made him. I am cosplaying Zia and really want to have one to hold! I also want squirt xD

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar March 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm

If you want to make one for yourself, you can perhaps modify a simple Teddy bear plush. (like adding horns and replace eyes and such.)

Good luck on your cosplay and don’t forget to send the photos to Supergiantgames when you do!

CaligoCastraNo Gravatar July 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Aww… How cute xD
I want one… =3

I try to make a pattern… but i failed xD

Greets from Germany ;)