header-nonbento-prinny-eggs.jpg

May 2, 2011

in bento

If you’re a long time reader of my blog, you might have seen my Rabbids cookies and Rabbids bento, which I made using a handmade rabbid cookie cutter.

When I made it, I used very crappy pliers, a chopstick and a soldering iron. Even though I was very excited to have my own custom cookie cutter and wanted to encourage people to make their own, it just didn’t look beginner friendly.

After spending some time trying to figure out a way to make it easier, I finally came up with a method to make a handmade metal cutter/shaper.

Tools:
- *Wilton’s circle metal cutter (I used a 3 inch diameter circle)
- Pliers (needle nose pliers are the best for this, but you can use any pliers)
- A couple of pipe cleaners
- Markers in two different colors
- Scotch tape

This is all you need.

*about the circle metal cutter
Q. Can I use any circle metal cutter?
A. If it’s thin enough, yes, but I highly recommend Wilton’s circle metal cuter for this project. It’s CHEAP (69 cents each) and EXTREMELY MALLEABLE. Many cookie cutters are way too sturdy and you won’t be able to bend it. You can order them online or you can find a place that carries Wilton’s product near you on the official website of Wilton.

EDIT: Just to be clear… IF YOU CAN’T EASILY BEND THE CUTTER WITH YOUR FINGERS, THIS METHOD MIGHT NOT WORK!

1. One side of the circle cutter is very sharp. Please make sure to tape the sharp side all around it with scotch tape before you begin so you won’t cut yourself.

How to make a cookie cutter / food shaper

2. Put a pipe cleaner around the metal cutter. (I used two for a 3-inch circle.)

How to make a cookie cutter / food shaper

3. Cut the excess pipe cleaner, twist it around and make it into a loop.

How to make a cookie cutter / food shaper

4. Make a shape of whatever you want with the loop. I made, what else, Totoro!

How to make a cookie cutter / food shaper

5. With one of the markers, mark where the pipe cleaner is bent INWARD, and with the other marker, mark where the pipe cleaner is bento OUTWARD. This will be your bending guide. If you’re making a complicated shape, trace the shape of the pipe cleaner on a piece of paper so you’ll have a reference when you shape the metal cutter. I didn’t do it because I can draw a shape of Totoro with my eyes closed. ;)

How to make a cookie cutter / food shaper

6. Make the pipe cleaner back into a loop.

How to make a cookie cutter / food shaper

7. Put the loop over the metal cutter, and mark the cutter. Make sure to use the same colors you used for bending inward/outward on the pipe cleaner.

How to make a cookie cutter / food shaper

8. Using the pliers, lightly bend the cutter inward and outward where you put the marks on. And repeat the bending process with a little more force, adjusting the shape.

How to make a cookie cutter / food shaper

Bending the metal cutter inward

How to make a cookie cutter / food shaper

Bending the metal cutter outward

This is good enough.

How to make a cookie cutter / food shaper

Hold where the metal is welded together with pliers when shaping the metal cutter with your fingers (so it doesn't come loose)

How to make a cookie cutter / food shaper

9. Take the tape off and you have a handmade cutter/shaper!

How to make a cookie cutter / food shaper

It took me about 30 minutes from start to finish! You can use the sharp side as a cookie cutter, or any food cutter. Now I can make an army of Totoro food! I’m going to try using this cutter / shaper and post results later!

How to make a Totoro cookie cutter / food shaper on my flickr

If you have any questions about any of my how-to’s, please feel free to leave a comment or email me!

yakuNo Gravatar May 3, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Oh my god this is so neat! thank you so much for posting this how to and sharing your knowledge; this can be useful for rice, cookies, chocolate…. holy crap I’m getting dizzy over the possibilities!

boboNo Gravatar May 3, 2011 at 9:11 pm

wow.. you are a genius! I never thought we cut make make a cutter on the shape we want ourselves..
Thanks for sharing this wonderful tips!

ShreelaNo Gravatar May 3, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I can’t begin to tell you how AWESOME this tutorial is! Thanks SO much ^_^

SparklewolfieNo Gravatar May 3, 2011 at 10:59 pm

This is really neat!

AikoVenusNo Gravatar May 4, 2011 at 9:00 am

So cute! My sister and I planned on making cookie cutters, but I wasn’t sure what to get for them.

LynNo Gravatar May 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm

OMG! You’re really awesome! Never had we thought of making our own cookies cutters! Tks for sharing such a wonderful tutorial! :D

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar May 6, 2011 at 11:27 am

Thanks everyone!

I wasn’t sure how many people actually would want to make a cookie cutter on their own, but I just wanted to show everyone that it’s very easy to make.

You can also cut aluminum pans into strips to make them (no pliers required!), but I like modifying a metal circle cutter because it’s sturdier so I can use the heck out of it. Also, 3-inch circle cutters are the perfect size for making an egg. If anyone has any questions about this, please let me know!

hime samaNo Gravatar May 6, 2011 at 10:20 pm

hello there anna,mind if i visit your site for sometimes or even more?…coz im a fun of totoro…and wish to make my own bento too…

NicoleNo Gravatar May 9, 2011 at 6:04 pm

this is awesome! do you think I could commission a totoro cookie cutter from you? I don’t think I could even *draw* the shape of a totoro successfully, let alone make it out of metal :(

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar May 10, 2011 at 10:15 am

Nicole
You should try, it’s really easy! You can just print out or trace any Totoro image. Wilton’s metal cutter is very easy to bend. Good luck!

xlilmisspinayxNo Gravatar August 23, 2011 at 3:06 pm

This looks like a fun project! And this way I can save some money instead of buying fancy shaped pans~
Thank you for sharing!♥

ShellyNo Gravatar October 27, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Thanks for the excellent tute!

MsChoyNo Gravatar October 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm

you are amazing! love your website :) thanks for sharing!

LaurenNo Gravatar October 31, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Thank you so much :) I found you via craft gossip and I couldn’t click past Totoro ^_^ xo

Ashley H.No Gravatar November 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I used this to make mustache shaped cookies for a baby shower, and they turned out Fantastic! Thank you for all of the helpful tips! I will be sure to reference this again :)

CalvinNo Gravatar November 29, 2011 at 11:05 am

Thank you ssooo much for sharing this, I’ve been looking for a Totoro cookie cutter for so long but I have never got the idea of making my own!
♥

CalvinNo Gravatar November 29, 2011 at 11:07 am

*my own one

CalvinNo Gravatar December 26, 2011 at 8:33 am

What kind of dough did you use? Could you post the recipe? :)

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar January 8, 2012 at 9:57 am

You can use any sugar cookie recipes! I’m always reluctant to post the recipes that I use for sweets because I don’t really like my sweets to be too sweet so I pick no-too-sweet recipes. A big recipe site like “All recipes” should have tons of yummy recipes with very helpful tips. Good luck!

LizzieNo Gravatar March 19, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Thank you for this tutorial, I made a big totoro and little one in less than 30 minutes. Haven’t made any cookies yet. I’m going to have a party for the DVD release of The Secret World of Arrietty and wanted to have some Miyazaki movie foods. My guests are going to die of joy.

BarbNo Gravatar June 1, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Thanks for the great tutorial!

nulshNo Gravatar September 30, 2012 at 1:27 am

Ha! This is great! My kids are gonna love this! Excellent post.
Many thanks!

LianaNo Gravatar December 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for the tutorial.It is the best I have yet seen.

Patriotic Cookie CuttersNo Gravatar October 4, 2013 at 2:12 am

It is really an awesome post. Really you have explained in a nice way. You can use this cookie cutter for various different things other than cookie making like Cookie cutters are great for budding artists. Demonstrate your kids how to meticulously trace all-around the outside edge of a cookie cutter and after that fill during the details and color themselves.