header-bento-lorax.jpg

Bento #84: Okamiden bento

March 14, 2011

in bento,video games

I usually don’t make a kyaraben with the same theme twice. (Unless it’s Ghibli related) Simply because I’m usually out of ideas after the first one. But not for this game.

Bento #85: Okamiden bento

Bento #84: Okamiden bento
Created and eaten on: 3/6/2011

Two bento (& non-bento) based on the same game in a row?!

Yes. I just couldn’t resist. After I made non-bento #33: Okamiden gomoku-sushi, it really made me want to make a regular Okamiden themed bento.

Non-bento #33: Okamiden gomoku-sushi

My previous attempt, Okamiden gomoku-sushi

In the previous game Okami, there was an item which Amaterasu could sleep on to regain health. I used to looove watching Ameterasu sleep with flowers sprouting around him, so I decided to make sleeping Chibi-terasu bento. After I finished the drawing, I traced it onto parchment paper, put it over a sheet of seaweed and cut it with an exacto knife.

Bento #85: Okamiden bento

The rest of the bento was pretty basic. I mixed rice with black ground sesame seed as the ground. And I rolled string beans with ham and cooked them on a pan and put them in the bento. Then I put some boiled broccoli on the edge of the rice, put sauteed renkon (lotus root) around the top left corner.

Bento #85: Okamiden bento

Bento #85: Okamiden bento

I wanted to put a cherry blossom tree in my bento since it’s a very symbolic in the game, so I used renkon as the base, and put pieces of ham which was cut out with a cloud shaped cutter on top.

Bento #85: Okamiden bento

For Chibi-terasu, I cooked one side of a slice of hanpen, cut it in the shape of Chibi-terasu and put it on the rice. Then I cut a broccoli stem and red pepper skin for the reflector on his back and the flames around it.

Bento #85: Okamiden bento

I still had a little bit of egg sheet left from the gomoku-sushi, so I used a flower shaped cutter and put them around Chibi-terasu. And I put carrot cut out with a straw on the center of each flower. For the cherry flower petals, I used the pink part of kamaboko (fish cake) this time.

Bento #85: Okamiden bento

Bento #85: Okamiden bento

After everything was set in place, I cut cheese into a circle and put the seaweed which was cut out into the Chinese character for “Happiness” (or “Praise” for the U.S. version of the game). Then I put seaweed which was cut into the shape of a tree onto a slice of cheese, cut the cheese around the seaweed. I used the cheese as a canvas to put seaweed on so that seaweed wouldn’t get all wrinkly from the moisture on ham.

Bento #85: Okamiden bento

I put the skin of red pepper which I had cut for the pattern on his face and body, and finally, I CAREFULLY put the cut seaweed onto hanpen and the reflector (broccoli stem.) And to finish it off, I sprinkled carrot leaves in it as grass.

Bento #85: Okamiden bento

Cutting seaweed can be tricky but the hardest part is when you put the seaweed onto food. Any tiny piece of seaweed will curl up almost instantly when it absorbs moisture. The surface of a slice of cheese is perfect for seaweed and most seaweed artists (yes, there are many “seaweed artists” in Japan!) use a slice of cheese as a canvas.

Overall, I think it turned out okay. This I tried not to make it too busy like the Okamiden gomoku-sushi.

We ended up saving Chibi-terasu again. We could’ve eaten it as is, but I sauteed both Chibi-terasu from gomoku-sushi and this bento with a bit of mayonnaise seasoned with curry powder. It was kind of sad to cook two adorable Chibi-terasu… but they were delicious!

Cooking Chibiterasu

I almost forgot to mention very important thing…

Okamiden *OFFICIALLY* comes out TOMORROW 3/15/2011 in the U.S.! If you have a Nintendo DS and like a good game with a great story and adventure, go pick it up! I’ve played it and already beat it in Japanese, but I cannot wait for Derek to play it. :)

UniflameNo Gravatar March 14, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Wow!! Just wow!!

LandoNo Gravatar March 14, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Not to nit pick but Okami came out sunday (gamestop employee here) street date was removed so its available at all gamestops :)

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar March 16, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Ah my bad. I added “*officially* comes out” to my post!

MaeltarNo Gravatar March 16, 2011 at 1:24 pm

She’s actually a female, but it looks wonderful ! Great work !

JBeckleyNo Gravatar March 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Actually Ammy is female, Chibi is male ^.^;

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar March 16, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Maeltar and JBeckley
It’s interesting that you two brought up the sex of Amaterasu! I actually addressed Amaterasu/Chibiterasu “he/she” in my original post but decided not to do it because it looked very confusing.

There was a big debate about the sex of Amaterasu from Okami when the game came out. Amaterasu was addressed goddess in the game yet can be seen peeing with one leg up in the game, blushing in front of a cute girl, staring at women’s boobs, etc… Also Issun would tell Amaterasu “If you’re a man…” and so on.

Despite all the debate, according to Japanese developers, the sex of Amaterasu/Chibiterasu is “unknown.” I believe the developer chose to use “goddess” based on the Japanese myths about Amaterasu no Oomikami, and the fact that it was going to be localized in the U.S. thus the sex really needed to be specified. (In Japanese, you don’t need to specify the sex of a person in a story. Convenient for a writer but a nightmare for a translator, like myself.) Actually the sex of many gods from Japanese myths is unknown. Either that, or the sex is decided based on their appearance, masculine = male, beautiful = woman.

So my take on Amaterasu’s sex is a goddess’ (or a god who was very beautiful) spirit reincarnated in a body of male wolf and became a sacred being. I just like calling Amaterasu “he” because of the peeing and the perverted manners, and also I used to have a boy dog who was very loyal and silly just like Amaterasu. :)

SkyblueNo Gravatar May 9, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I think chibi at least must be male, since he is a son and not a reincarnation god. but Ammy is Shiranui reincarnated in a female form, basically right? Also, the kami lore is a goddess Amaterasu, so I think she is female, at least mostly? Maybe genderless, who knows.

ErinNo Gravatar March 16, 2011 at 3:38 pm

This could be the most beautiful food I’ve ever seen @.@

Amazing work!

KateeNo Gravatar March 16, 2011 at 6:27 pm

This is too cute! And amazing…just amazing. :O I would never have the patience to make something like this. I actually stumbled upon this from seeing it linked on the Official Okami Fan Page on Facebook. Great job, and keep up the amazing work!

Lady CroCroNo Gravatar March 18, 2011 at 10:35 am

Oh my god, it’s PRECIOUS

fugzillaNo Gravatar March 30, 2011 at 11:54 pm

omg… the cutest bento, ever!

LycorisNo Gravatar March 31, 2011 at 2:34 pm

nawwww so cute!! I wanna make one. Though I did notice you called Ammy a boy when she’s a girl. In japan they addressed her as a girl and in America we gave her no gender for some reason. Just hate to point out that in the Japanese and Europe version she was a girl >> In the game neither is shown to be correct or incorrect. I do believe that it is a girl because Amterasu is a sun goddess.

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar March 31, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Hi Lycoris,

See the comment by me above, I explained about the gender of Chibiterasu/Amaterasu. :)

KelsoNo Gravatar April 6, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Ohmygod, you are AMAZING! I’m writing an article about bento so I will write your link down for everyone who’s interested. Keep up the good work!