header-bento-ebichu.jpg

Non-bento #31: Totoro chocolate

February 16, 2011

in Baking,bento,characters,how-to,non bento

I hope everyone had wonderful Valentine’s day.

I made Domo-kun brownies last week but I still wanted to surprise Derek on the 14th… so I decided to make something I’ve always wanted to try.

Non-bento #31: Totoro chocolate

Non-bento #31: Totoro chocolate
Created and eaten on: 2/14/2011

I took some photos while making it, so I’m going to post them here. Just like the Domo-kun brownies, I don’t think you can call this a how-to, but it’s much easier to explain the process with photos.

First I drew Totoro, chu-Totoro, chibi-Totoro and couple of Makkurokurosuke on a piece of paper. Then I put parchment paper over the drawing, and traced it with a pencil. I then flipped the parchment paper, and taped it on a piece of blank paper.

How to make Totoro chocolate

Doodle! Or you can trace images.

I chopped chocolate with a knife, and started melting chocolate.

How to make Totoro chocolate

Chop chop chop

Melting chocolate can be tricky. If the water is too hot it can burn the chocolate and a drop of water in chocolate can ruin the whole batch. I was a bit nervous because I’ve failed at melting chocolate before. I was very tempted to buy a fondue pot for this project but decided to go with a $5 analog thermometer.

How to make Totoro chocolate

Looks like a novelty, but it's a lifesaver.

I must say it was the best $5 I’ve ever spent!! Because of the thermometer, I was able to keep the chocolate melted at the same consistency from the beginning to the end. So if you’ve never melted chocolate before and are worried, get a thermometer! (Make sure it’s for cooking. Ideally the one that says “Deep Fry & Candy”) I just stuck the thermometer into the water, and kept an eye on it to make sure it was always around 125 F (or 51 C).

I was going to use a ziplock with a hole to pipe chocolate out but I’m not good at piping so I decided to use a toothpick.

How to make Totoro chocolate

Make sure that absolutely NO WATER gets into the chocolate.

First I used the regular chocolate to go over the outline by dipping the tip of a toothpick into melted chocolate and tracing the lines. Repeat. As you can imagine, the process is TEDIOUS, but for me using a toothpick was a lot easier and not as messy as piping.

How to make Totoro chocolate

Tedious but not difficult

How to make Totoro chocolate

How to make Totoro chocolate

Then I realized that Totoro’s nose and whiskers needed to be darker than the milk chocolate… Oh well. I had dark chocolate so I ended up drawing the nose and whiskers on at the end, but it definitely would’ve looked better if I drew it on the parchment paper. I put the paper on a cutting board to keep the paper flat, put it in the fridge, and then started melting white chocolate.

How to make Totoro chocolate

When you put it in the fridge I recommend putting it on a flat hard board (like a cutting board).

After the chocolate got hard, I took it out the fridge, and I scooped melted white chocolate with a spoon and gently dropped it on the white parts of the drawing. I didn’t have to be careful like I had to with the outlines since I just had to fill the rest of the space, but I had to make sure not to disturb the milk chocolate. Because if you touch too much, the milk chocolate will mix with the white chocolate.

How to make Totoro chocolate

For chibi-Totoro, I drew the outline with white chocolate first, let it dry a bit, then filled the inside.

How to make Totoro chocolate

Just drop the melted white chocolate. Do not try to spread it around with a spoon.

How to make Totoro chocolate

When I was done with the white chocolate, I put a little bit of milk chocolate around chibi-Totoro. And I put it back into the fridge and waited until the surface of the chocolate was hard to the touch and not sticky. I took it out, shifted the Makkurokurosuke a little bit and it came off very easily. For the bigger ones like Totoro and chu-Totoro, I put another piece of parchment paper on top and flipped it.

I had to melt dark chocolate to add a nose and whiskers to Totoro, which as I expected came out a bit bumpy, but not bad at all for my first try! (I didn’t want to melt the dark chocolate too much because I was worried that it’d melt Totoro’s face)

Non-bento #31: Totoro chocolate

I still had some melted chocolate in a bowl so I put corn flakes in it and mix them around to make chocolate covered corn flakes.

Chocolate flakes

I was very happy with how the chocolate turned out, but I wasn’t sure how to give them to Derek… I didn’t want to use a cake or cupcakes for the base since it’d be too much sweets for two of us. Then I realized that I had the perfect container for the chocolate!

Ghibli cookies

I love this case. So classy and adorable

Ghibli cookies

A couple years ago, Derek’s friend got us cookies from the Ghibli museum. The tin case that the cookies came in was so cute we kept it and stored Studio Ghibli related stuff inside. I took the stuff out and put parchment paper inside. The chocolate would melt fast when you hold it with hands, so I put corn flakes inside and put the chocolate on top. This way it’s easy to pick up the chocolate piece and looks cute too.

Non-bento #31: Totoro chocolate

Non-bento #31: Totoro chocolate

Non-bento #31: Totoro chocolate

Non-bento #31: Totoro chocolate

Non-bento #31: Totoro chocolate

When Derek came home, I gave the case to him. As soon as he opened it, he went “AWWWWW” and started studying the chocolate and asking me how I did it. Even after I explained how I did it, he was still impressed and looking through the photos I took while I was making it. Yay, a success!!

This was a lot easier than I thought. All I needed was patience and a thermometer. Even the tedious part wasn’t bad at all since I could spend as long as I wanted.

Now that I’m somewhat confident, I think I’ll move onto something slightly more challenging… ;)

How to make Totoro chocolate on my flickr

HeatherNo Gravatar February 17, 2011 at 11:55 am

Amazing, as always… I shared this on Pinterest and Twitter :) (@littlebearries twitter will link you to both)

I’ve been following your blog for quite some time, and you always do just the most amazing stuff.

zorojrNo Gravatar February 17, 2011 at 12:51 pm

wow. it is amazing what a little creativity and chocolate can do. :D

the thermometer is a great idea. where did u buy yours? all the ones i find are around $15. so $5 for one is a steal.

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar February 19, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Hi zorojr
The thermometer is by Polder and I got it at a housewares store. It’s a bit bulky but I love that it’s analog. No battery!

AthenaNo Gravatar February 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm

That’s just so awesome! And, I like how you show the steps, revealing that it’s not really a difficult recipe or super technique, it’s just a test of patience and willingness to commit to the project. I love it! =D Your ability to mimic things with food never ceases to amaze me!

sheriNo Gravatar February 17, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Wait, Ghibli Museum cookies??

These are so awesome, I can hardly stand it!

SundaeNo Gravatar February 18, 2011 at 12:57 am

OMG!! Soooo cute!!!
すごくかわいい!!まっくろくろすけがツボです^^

sbrizzNo Gravatar February 18, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Oh My! I think I will try it next week! Faboulus! :D

yakuNo Gravatar February 19, 2011 at 12:34 am

I MUST try this at home! thank you so much for sharing the how-tos! :D

JasmineNo Gravatar February 19, 2011 at 11:16 am

Anna, that is just BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE your creations. What advice do you have for me? I dont really know how to cook and I’d love to make cute bentos like yours, esp now that I’m married and have a daughter. Where do I begin? I was thinking of taking a cooking class. Starting with basics and working my way up. I have tons of cookbooks, but I feel helpless. Thanks!

AnandaNo Gravatar February 20, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Anna I LOVE these! I want them so badly! Would you make some for my wedding for me? >^..^<

AnandaNo Gravatar February 20, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Oh.. and thanks for this GREAT

Totorial…..

hahah!

Pauline KimNo Gravatar February 23, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I loved these so much! I tried to make some on my own! the white chocolate became a little too runny but I can’t wait to wait some more again! :) Thank you for this awesome idea!

http://i53.tinypic.com/67v7ee.jpg < is a picture for you!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar February 24, 2011 at 8:15 am

To everyone, thank you for such kind words!

It’s probably nothing new to an avid baker but I just wanted non-bakers (like myself) to know how easy it is. You can do a amazing things if you’re good at piping but I’ll stick to a toothpick for now.

Jasmine
I didn’t cook at all before I started going out with my boyfriend Derek who’s now my fiancee. He grew up helping his family cook, so he used to cook for me and he made me want to cook too. I
started out trying to cook what my family used to cook, because I knew how it should taste. And after that I tried cooking many different foods and looking at recipes. I think the most important thing is to cook the food you like and enjoy eating it.

The best way to learn how to cook is to learn from someone who cooks or used to cook for you. If
you want to do it on your own, keep it simple. You don’t need fancy spices or special ingredients to cook delicious food. The recipes on www,allrecipes.com are submitted by users, so you can find many useful easy & economical dishes there. Just like anything else, the more you
cook, the better you’ll get. Good luck!

Ananda
Aww I’m very flattered! It’s sooo easy, you can totally do it by yourself! It’d be so romantic to make your own chocolate decoration for your own wedding. :) Great thing about this is that you can keep it in the fridge for a pretty long time.

Pauline
That. Is. Awesome!! Wasn’t it fun making it? I’ll totally put it on the “your food” page on my blog! If you make it small enough you can put it on cupcakes as a decoration too. (make sure the cupcake isn’t too hot)

MaggieNo Gravatar February 24, 2011 at 3:27 pm

hi anna! your creations are always cute and delicious looking. since the totoro chocolate looks pretty easy, this would be my first time trying to execute one of your creative recipes. i was just curious about how long did it take for each layer of chocolate to dry?

thanks!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar May 25, 2011 at 9:38 am

Maggie,

I’m sorry I missed your question! Chocolate dries pretty fast. You just have to touch it and if it’s hard to the touch, it’s ready!

AbiNo Gravatar March 1, 2011 at 1:36 am

this is amazing. it also gives me ideas. that’s so cool. thank you for sharing that.

hmmfomtgalNo Gravatar June 28, 2011 at 10:27 pm

OMYGOSH THX!!!! im gunna make some of these for my friends and give it to them next valentines day!!!!!!

LinaNo Gravatar August 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Hi! This is the coolest thing i´v ever seen and it seems so easy! But why do you flip the parchment paper and tape it on a piece of blank paper? Couldn´t you just tape it over a cutting board directly?
I´m sorry of it´s a stupid question, i blame my swedish blood :P I attend to try this very soon and I just have to try making Darth Vader in dark chocolate :D
Thank you for this lovely blog! //L

EstherNo Gravatar August 25, 2011 at 4:02 am

Hi, I was just wondering, the chocolate that you used, is it baking chocolate?

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar September 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Nope, just a regular Hershey’s milk chocolate bar!

PippaD @ A Mothers RamblingsNo Gravatar September 6, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Just found your blog, love this post and shall be subscribing as soon as I have left this comment!

Naomi BaumbachNo Gravatar February 14, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Hey anna, when i saw your totoro cookies i just fell in love with them and becuase i knew Valentines Day was coming up and my boyfriend loves My Neighbor Totoro I thought, “what better XD” and they came out really good thank you soo much for this your a genius ^_^
well i wanna show u but I have no idea how to put the pic up >.< somebody any tips? :)

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar February 14, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Awww I’d love to see them! You can just email them to me at annathered[at]gmail[dot]com and I can put them on my “your food” page!

AngelicaNo Gravatar April 23, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I was wondering how you got the chocolate to stay firm. I’ve tried melting it and putting it into the fridge for 30 minutes before but whenever I take it out and try to handle it, it starts to melt. When you take the chocolate out of the fridge does it start to melt too?

GaviotaNo Gravatar May 11, 2012 at 12:38 am

Hey Anna
Congratulations! How many hours did it take you to finish this project?

Lau-LotteNo Gravatar November 17, 2012 at 5:14 am

Your Totoro is perfect ! It’s so beautiful !

Keith SNo Gravatar November 23, 2012 at 3:11 am

This is amazing!! When I saw the picture before clicking I thought it was a printed image on edible paper! You’re amazing!!

keblugNo Gravatar January 22, 2013 at 9:55 pm

awww this is cute!! wanna try this!! ^^