header-bento-mechazawa.jpg

Bento #76: The Lorax

July 10, 2010

in american,bento

Have you checked out the results for the Dream Bento Contest at EpiCute and My Food Looks Funny yet?

It wasn’t easy by any means, but it was a lot of fun. I initially picked the Lorax by Dr. Seuss but after I got an extension for the deadline, I decided do the Moomins as well.

*Before I begin, I’m usually against taking requests for bento because it’s hard to make something that I don’t know too much about. Little details make a huge difference when making kyaraben, and it takes a lot longer than usual to plan and make a bento based on something you aren’t familiar with. Keep in mind that this one was for a contest!*

Anyway I’ll first do a blog post about the Lorax since it was my first pick.

Bento #76: the Lorax

Bento #76: the Lorax
Created and eaten on: 07/04/2010

After I decide to do a bento of the Lorax, I watched a video of the Lorax, gathered reference images, and studied what makes the world of the Lorax “Lorax-like.” His beard, the pile of rocks, Truffula trees, Humming Fish, Swomee Swans, Bar-ba-Loots (which I couldn’t make), the Once-ler’s house, and his green arms.

For the green field, I mixed rice with sea kelp furikake (seasoning), and for the sky, I mixed rice with black sesame seed.

Bento #76: the Lorax detail

I cut meatballs in half and buried them into the rice for the top of the Truffula tree. I tried making Truffula trees fluffy, but it didn’t really work out, so I used a cutter to cut out cheese and carrot and put it on the meatball. For the pink one, I made a small rice ball and put sakura denbu (sweet pink fish flakes) all over it. Then I cut an egg sheet to make the tree part.

Bento #76: the Lorax detail

For the bush around the tree, I cut red cabbage into thin strips, dressed it in vinegar and sesame oil, and left it sit until it softened. Then I put it around the bottom of the tree.

Bento #76: the Lorax detail

I knew I didn’t have enough meatballs so at the lower part of the bento I cooked asparagus and carrot wrapped it with bacon, and grape tomato with corn.

Bento #76: the Lorax detail

For the pile of rocks, I carved a potato, fried it, and put it on the rice. It’s the same way I made the body of the Big Daddy from BioShock bento.

Bento #76: the Lorax detail

I made mashed yam, shaped it like the Lorax and put it above the pile of rocks made with potato. Then I cut an egg sheet for his beard, and used a straw to cut out carrot for his nose.

Bento #76: the Lorax detail

I made Humming Fish with cheese and Swomee Swans with egg sheet and cheese.

Bento #76: the Lorax detail

I previously had cut seaweed into the shape of the Once-ler’s house, so I put it on cheese, and cut it around the seaweed. To finish it, I cut fishcake for clouds and everyone’s eyes, put black sesame seeds on, and put pieces of broccoli for the Once-ler’s arms.

Bento #76: the Lorax detail

The hardest thing about this bento was that there were sooooooo many small pieces of food, which I couldn’t prepare in advance because the cheese would either melt or get hard, and seaweed on any food would get wrinkly.

The story in this bento may not be consistent with the book since I have all Truffula trees, the pile of rocks and Once-ler’s house in the same scene, but this was the best I could do.There are a lot of things I wanted to do better in this bento, but I do like how the Lorax came out.

Bento #76: the Lorax detail

"I speak for the trees!"

If you’re just making the Lorax, it’s very easy! You just need mashed yam, a tiny piece of carrot, cheese and black sesame seeds. For his beard, you can use cheese instead of egg sheet!

Mommyof2Girlz/StephNo Gravatar July 10, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Absolutely AMAZING!!!!

Lil'chanNo Gravatar July 11, 2010 at 4:26 am

Oh my god! This is absolutely great! How long were you in the kitchen for this? It’s amazing! I love all the little details ^-^

HazNo Gravatar July 12, 2010 at 5:36 am

how do you cut all those words out of seaweed?!?
muri desu~!!!

adriNo Gravatar July 12, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I love it! When I was a kid, this was my favorite book!

Sonoma BentoNo Gravatar July 13, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Incredible! Dr. Seuss would be so proud. :-)

SurrealKittenNo Gravatar July 13, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Hi Anna! I’ve enjoyed your bentos through the epicute site, but I just came on your site for the first time today, because I wanted to let you know I used your Lorax bento in a collage on http://www.polyvore.com My finished set is here: http://www.polyvore.com/habille-toi_comme_tu_veux/set?id=20710885
I was directly inspired by your bento, and made an outfit that I would like to wear while eating such a precious and thoughtful meal. :) Hope you don’t mind- if you’d like me to credit you in another way than I already have, please let me know. :)
-surrealkitten

SabineNo Gravatar July 13, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Hi, I really love your blog and your pictures, you’re amazing! I just wanted to ask if I can use some of your pictures on my blog, because I’d like to write about you to tell my friends, but I don’t kidnap pictures without asking. Of course it would be obvious that the pictures are yours since the post itself would be about you.

Would that be okay?

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar July 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Hi SurrealKitten

Sorry for a late reply! Of course I don’t mind, and that collage looks so adorable! And I’m truly honored to be an inspiration to you! :) Keep up the good work!

Hi Sabine
Again, sorry for a late reply, and yes of course you can use my photos on your blog! (if it’s still not too late) Spread the love for bento and food!

NoveiNo Gravatar July 13, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I LOVE your Bentos, they are real works of art! I put a link to your blog on mine, and particularly one to your Sketchs page, I find it amazing!
Thank you for letting me know that I’ll never be this good!!! :-)

LoriNo Gravatar July 17, 2010 at 7:53 pm

The Lorax in bento form…I love it!!

AstrorainfallNo Gravatar July 21, 2010 at 7:34 am

Sugoyiiiii! This looks so difficult to make. Glad you took up the challenge. You r so talented:)

EvaNo Gravatar July 23, 2010 at 9:13 am

C’est adorable, bravo !
Bisous

veganfNo Gravatar July 27, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Very nice! The lettering must have been tricky but it looks just the the book.

christinaNo Gravatar September 22, 2011 at 9:49 pm

my kiddos would love this!! the lorax is our favorite book. these are amazing!!