header-nonbento_rabbidcookies.jpg

3 days of Ghibli feast

May 11, 2010

in bento,studio ghibli

Long time no blog! I’ve been working on something other than kyaraben recently, and there have been many very late nights. I do miss making kyaraben, and I will start making them again, hopefully soon!

While I was working on my other project, I started thinking about iconic food in anime and manga. I think food in anime and manga has a big influence on Japanese culture. Most of those food actually exist, and there is even a cook book where they try to recreate the food from anime and manga. (which I ordered and is on the way to my house!)

kuusou kitchen

Have you ever wondered how much rice you have to put in a rice bowl to make it look like the bowl of rice they eat in manga? (Kuusou Kitchen recipe book)

I’ve made a bento of “that meat” (a.k.a. ano niku / manga meat) before, but I just made food that looks like “that meat” and it wasn’t actually “that meat.” (A lot of people actually tried to re-create “that meat” and some companies even sell them too.) I always wanted to cook the food I’ve dreamed of eating when I was little and actually eat it, and my boyfriend being a food lover and an anime fan couldn’t be more excited about this idea.

The theme was of course, food in Miyazaki films. (I’m sure you guessed it from the title of this post.) It’s no fun to just make a couple of dishes, so we decided to have a feast! We went full-out on this. Our main focus was to make the food as close as possible to the original, and tried to make most of them from scratch, and we were going to eat the food as we watched the films.

We picked 8 films for this feast. Originally we wanted to do a marathon, but it’s a LOT of food, so we decided to split it into three days.

1st night (Saturday)

Porco Rosso
- poached salmon with Bechamel sauce with a side of glazed carrots and white wine
- pasta with bacon and red wine

Princess Mononoke
- jerky
- rice porridge

2nd day (Sunday)

Laputa: Castle in the Sky
- toast with sunny side egg and an apple

Kiki’s Delivery Service
- Pancake with sausage and tomatoes
- Herring and pumpkin pie

My Neighbor Totoro
- Mei’s bento

Nausicaa
- Chiko nuts

3rd night (Monday)

Spirited Away
- steamed bun with sweet red bean
- rice balls
- candy (Makkurokurosuke’s food)

The Castle of Cagliostro
- spaghetti & meatballs

I’ll start posting about each meal, starting with Porco Rosso! And I’ll be posting daily for this feast, so check back often!

graceNo Gravatar May 11, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Awesome! Can’t wait to see the pictures. I cannot get enough of Miyazaki films.

MarianneNo Gravatar May 11, 2010 at 10:48 pm

OMG! What a great idea! I can’t wait to see how they turn out. I might have to try that idea sometime.

eulaNo Gravatar May 12, 2010 at 12:40 am

holy crap! genius!! i would say i love you but that’s kinda creepy. i can’t wait to see the pictures!!! did you know you can actually buy mei’s bento box? or something similar.. i guess mei’s box wouldn’t have her face on it.. lol

SkammieNo Gravatar May 12, 2010 at 3:00 am

Oooh! I can’t wait!! =D

ApestNo Gravatar May 12, 2010 at 3:10 am

Yay! more ghibli for us all!! :D D
What about ham ramen in Ponyo? :D

MarooNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 5:13 am

What an interesting idea! Can’t wait to see the meals…
I wish I understand Japanese, I’d buy that book too LOL

LyvvieNo Gravatar May 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I have all those movies and know exactly what you’re talking about! We bought Ponyo recently and my kids have had Ponyo noodle soup with HAM! a few times since. I’m glad we’re not the only ones who do this.

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar May 15, 2010 at 12:20 am

Wow, I’m surprised to get comments on regular food! I’m also glad that it’s not only us who were thinking about the same thing. :)
There’re no “official recipes” for the food in Ghibli feast, so if you feel there’s something wrong with it, I encourage you to cook your own version of a Ghibli feast!

GabrielaNo Gravatar January 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Hello!
I am in awe by your blog! You’re such an artist! I love your Totoro-themed bento boxes.
I am intrigued by the manga cookbook. Is it any good? Could you please give me the ISBN to order it? Let me know if it’s worth it!

Great work! Congratulations!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar January 28, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Gabriela,
Sorry for the late reply! The book isn’t so much a recipe book as it is two guys analyzing food from manga, how it could’ve been made, and how they tried to cook some of it in real life. While I still enjoyed reading it, you’ll be disappointed if you’re looking for a cookbook.

ViviNo Gravatar September 20, 2011 at 6:57 am

This is super late, but I stumbled across this from Tumblr! You are an amazing cook @_@ These are so awesome and inspiring.

AniiNo Gravatar March 25, 2013 at 11:42 pm