[How to make Bernard from Where the Wild Things Are]
- black sesame seed
- sliced cheese
- radish or white-ish sliced cheese or kamaboko (fish cake), or even left over hard boiled egg white from mashed potato. In other words, you can use any white food!
– cupcake cup (I used foil cupcake cups, but if you need to microwave your food, use a paper cupcake cup instead. I’ve tried it, and the paper cup handled the moisture pretty well.)
– hole punch
– round plastic cap
1. Put plain rice in a bowl, and mix it with black sesame seed (I used ground sesame seed but non-grounded sesame seeds are also fine)
2. Make a small rice ball, and put it in a cupcake cup.
3. Make a smaller rice ball, and put it on top of the rice ball.
4. Slice radish (or sliced cheese, or kamaboko, or hard boiled egg whites), and use a plastic bottle cap to cut out “C” shape for the horn. Stick it on his head.
5. Cut sliced cheddar cheese with a plastic cap or biｇ straw (I used a bubble tea straw) for his terrible yellow eyes, and cut the top part off. If you don’t have any plastic cap to cut cheese, you can just use a spoon to trim it.
6. Cut seaweed into ” V ” and ” l ” shape with scissors. Also cut seaweed into a round shape and cut it in half for his ears. (forgot to take pictures >_<)
7. If you have a seaweed cutter for a smiling face like I do, use it to cut out seaweed.
7. If you don’t have a special seaweed cutter, cut it freehand with scissors, an cut seaweed out with a hole punch, and put it for the eyes.
*For step 7, if you don’t have access to seaweed, you can use black sesame seeds for the pupils.
If you have any questions about any of my how-to’s, please feel free to leave a comment or email me!