header-bento-totoro-summer.jpg

How to make Domo-kun croquettes

August 8, 2009

in characters

Croquettes are a very popular food in Japan. For those who don’t know what croquettes are, croquettes are deep fried mashed potato with any kind of minced meat or fish and sometimes with vegetable. The great thing about croquettes are that they’re easy to make, and you can put pretty much anything in it. Also, you can make many croquettes at once, and freeze them for later. You can make croquette only with potato. I added meat and onions for this how to, but if you aren’t a big meat eater, you can just use drained tuna or varieties of vegetables like corn, peas, carrots, etc…

Domo-kun croquette in bento!

[Domo-kun croquette] (makes about 15 ~ 18 small croquettes)
- 1~2 potato (I used 2)
- 1~2 eggs beaten with 1 TBS of vegetable oil mixed very well (for batter)
- flour (for batter)
- panko or bread crumbs (for batter)
- Oil for deep frying
- *1/2 lbs of minced meat (I used minced beef) OR soboro (see “how to make soboro”)
- *1~1 1/2 onion (I used 1)
*[Seasoning for meat] (This isn’t absolutely necessary. You can season the meat anyway you want.)
- 1 TBS of soy sauce
- 2 TBS of sugar
- 1 TBS sake
*Optional

1. Make mashed potato either by boiling, baking or microwaving. Peel the potato or scoop out the contents with a spoon and mash!

2. Cook chopped onion and minced beef until liquid from the onion and meat is gone. If you have “soboro” already made or want to use tuna, skip to Step 4.

Make sure you cook until the liquid from onion and meat is gone.

3. When the onion and meat are cooked, season it with soy sauce, sugar and sake, and cook until the liquid is gone.  *As I stated in the beginning, this seasoning is optional.

Make sure you cook until the liquid is gone.

4. Mix cooked meat (or soboro or tuna) into the mashed potato.

5. You can just mold mashed potato in a rectangular shape with your hands, but I spread it on a baking pan, flattened it and cut it with a butter knife. This way, each croquette is pretty much the same size, and also it makes it easier to make rectangular shaped Domo-kun. Don’t make them too big though. If it’s too big, it might break when you’re putting it into the egg later.

6. Cover shaped mashed potato with plastic wrap so it doesn’t  get dry, and put it in the fridge for 15~20 minutes or until the potato and meat is completely cooled down. This process is very important! If the potato isn’t cooled down, the croquette will break apart in the oil.

7. Once the potato is cooled down, put it in flour, and then into beaten egg, and into panko/bread crumbs. I used both panko and regular bread crumbs so people could see the difference.
*If you want to freeze, you can put them in the freezer after you put bread crumbs.

From the top left: Bread crumbs, Flour, Beaten egg, Panko.

Carefully put flour on a croquette.

It gets messy when you put croquettes in egg, so I usually put flour on all the croquettes first.

Put egg all over the croquette without breaking it!

As soon as you put egg on croquette, put it in a bowl of panko/bread crumbs and cover croquette with panko/bread crumbs very well.

Top row: basic round croquette with panko2nd row: croquette with bread crumbs3rd & 4th row: croquette with panko (*Freeze croquette here if you want to freeze them)

7. Heat up vegetable oil at medium heat, and when the oil is hot, carefully put the croquettes in, one at a time.

Tip: Don't put too many croquettes at once. It'll lower the temperature of the oil and it'll takes very long to cook.

Tip: Once you put them in, DO NOT MOVE CROQUETTES AROUND! Just wait until they come up to the surface.

*I’ve tried frying in a frying pan, but because the croquette’s skin was touching the bottom of the pan, and the skin started to fall apart when I flipped them. So I highly recommend deep frying.

*I've tried pan frying croquettes before: What a mess! You can still eat it, but it's a quite messy and the color is very uneven.

*I also tried using a toaster oven. It took very long to get panko/bread crumbs golden brown. (See the picture in Step 9)

8. Use a straw to cut cheese, and put cut seaweed on the cheese for the eyes (I used a hole punch). Cut red pepper into square for the mouth, and cut cheese for the teeth.

9. Once the croquettes are cooled down, put eyes and mouth on the croquette!

Domo-kun croquette with panko

Domo-kun croquette with regular bread crumbs (just a bit less fuzzy)

Domo-kun croquette with regular bread crumbs (just a bit less fuzzier)

Domo-kun croquette cooked in an oven toaster (definitely lighter than deep fried one)

Fried with a frying pan: The color was sooo unveven! Ive made these when I was trying to do a how-to the first time. These made me think about re-doing the whole how-to...

I've made this the first time when I was trying to do this how-to. Also, this made me think about re-doing the whole how-to...

You can eat croquettes with ketchup or mayonnaise or both! (My boyfriend likes ketchup mixed with mayonnaise)

It seems like a lot of work, but if you’re making a lot of croquettes at once to freeze them like me, it’s so worth  it. (It’s very cheap to make it too!) When you’re frying frozen croquette, you should bring the frozen croquettes to room temperature OR microwave it to cook the inside the croquette (stick a toothpick in a croquette to see if it’s cooked inside) before frying it. If you fry it while frozen, it’ll break apart in the oil.

How to make domo-kun croquette on my flickr

If you have any questions about any of my how-to’s, please feel free to leave a comment or email me!

AngelNo Gravatar August 8, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Those look so fun. Now i want to try making croquettes. Hmm maybe try adding cheese to the potatoes. My husband loves mashed potatoes with cheese.

ArgenteeNo Gravatar August 10, 2009 at 8:49 am

Thank you so much for this! I buy a 5 pound bag of potatos when they are on sale, and my husband and I can get very tired of them by the time we reach the bottom of the bag. Something new to do with them is very welcome!

AnnArroganceNo Gravatar August 10, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Thank you so much for the how-to! I made these for my husband & myself last night for dinner, and they were SO GOOD! Even my husband, who is very picky, said that he loved them and wants to make a huge batch this weekend to freeze and keep around. I made the recipe as you had written it, with the exception of adding chopped mushrooms to the ground beef mix. Thank you!

Also, love them blog. I always look forward to seeing your bentos! They are always so fun and creative–your boyfriend is a lucky man!

JenniyahNo Gravatar August 10, 2009 at 11:41 pm

if you oven it, how long and waht temperature do you keep it at?

AutumnhoundNo Gravatar August 12, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Hi! I love your blog, and I really dig this recipe. I always have meat and potatoes laying around, (yeah, I’m that kind of girl), and this is a great way to get rid of them! I actually made onigiri on a whim to go to Tekkoshocon. In the batch I made, some were plain, some had seasoned meat inside, and some had a dollop of red bean paste in the middle. I carried a whole backpack full of them, and gave them out randomly. They were such a huge hit! I hope I can firgure out a way to open a stand at the ‘con next year. =) Anyways, you had inspired me to make the onigiri in the first place, and now I’m going to be bold and try these!

Oh, one quick question. I’m slightly confused about bento box sizes. I have two, but they look more like snack boxes…..I’m not sure how to order them online in a size large enough to be a meal! Help!

emo.evil.bunnieNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 8:01 am

well, firstly, bento boxes arent meant to be that big in the first place… they arent too big, so depending on what you think lunchbox size is, you may already have the average bento box with you

EveNo Gravatar August 13, 2009 at 2:27 pm

I just returned from a vacation in Barcelona and I brought back a tapas book solely for the ham croquettes recipe. I’ll have to use your domo-kun idea to give them a little zazz!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar August 13, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I just baked them until they were brownish. Everything except egg is already cooked, so as long as the egg is cooked, you don’t have to worry about actually cooking the inside of the croquette. The baking process is just to make the outside brown.

BoomboNo Gravatar September 9, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I really like oll of your bento, there so cool!!!!!!!!!!
I put the link of your blog on mine, if you have tile to look at i will be happy.

lalaNo Gravatar February 19, 2010 at 4:04 pm

on dirait une crotte geante

lou patillotNo Gravatar February 19, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I must tell the world I have poop in my pants

CocoNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Hey i recorded myself making these croquettes and they were amazing :3
i was wondering if i could put the video on youtube and give you credits

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar March 29, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Coco
Of course!! :) I can’t wait to see it!

DevilNo Gravatar April 2, 2011 at 2:04 am

im 12 and im gonna make these 4 my family of 6. how much potato shoukd i use?

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar April 6, 2011 at 10:04 am

Devil,
Awesome!
As written in my directions, 1~2 potatoes (I used 2 which makes about 15 ~ 18 small croquettes. But how much potato you needt pretty much depends on how big you want your croquettes and how many of you want to make.

But make sure your parents or an adult fries the croquettes for you. Hot oil can be very very dangerous.

Good luck!

gabbeNo Gravatar August 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm

hi! thanks for your awesome step by step tutorials! my 7 yr old daughter and i made these today- they turned out super cute and yummy! i credited you/this website on my instagram post using my photo- thank you again!!
{{BIG HUGS}}

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Yes, I saw your Domo-kun croquette! They look adorable and delicious!!! I’ll put the photo on the “your food” page on my blog later! Thank you!