header-bento-bunny-totoro.jpg

how to make Totoro cream puffs

April 7, 2009

in Baking,characters,how-to

I know there are many recipes for cream puffs, and it’s not like you must use this recipe to make Totoro cream puffs. If you’re using your own cream puff recipe, make cream puff dough and jump to Step 5.
A blog post about my very first batch of Totoro cream puffs can be found on “non-bento #12: Totoro cream puffs.”

[How to make Totoro cream puffs] (About 18 3-inch Totoro OR 12 3-inch Totoro and 8 smaller Totoro)
For puffs:
- 80 cc of water ( = 5 TBS and 1 TS of water)
- 4 TBS of unsalted butter OR 4 TBS of vegetable oil (I like butter. It smells a lot nicer when it’s being baked)
- 2 whole eggs (large, beaten) and 1 extra egg on standby to add the dough if it’s too thick
- Two pinches of salt
- 6 TBS of all-purpose flour (sifted if you have a sifter)

For face:
- White icing in a tube OR ANY white chocolate chips
- Any chocolate
- Powdered sugar (for Chibi-Totoro and Chu-Totoro)
- Green tea powder (for Chu-Totoro)

Stuff you need:
- Sauce pan
- Spatula
- Baking pan
- Aluminum foil or parchment paper
- ziploc bag or pastry bag
- Sifter or tea strainer
- toothpick

Before you start…
- Have custard cream made and cooled down in the fridge. (See “how to make custard with a microwave” and “how to make custard by stove top”)
- Beaten eggs. (Just two. Don’t crack the other egg yet)
- Sifted flour. (not absolutely necessary, but this will definitely help make the puffs puffier)
- Pre-heat the oven at 400 degrees F.
- Put aluminum foil or parchment paper on a pan. (you can lightly grease aluminum foil if you’re worried, but don’t put it too much. It may make the puffs deflate)

1. Put water, butter and salt in a sauce pan and bring it to boil.

2. When it starts boiling, take the sauce pan off the stove, put the flour in all at once and stir it very well with a spatula.

3. When the pan is cooled down enough that you can touch the pan’s bottom with a finger, add 2 TBS of the beaten egg in and stir it well.

Tip: At first, egg and flour may look separated and will not mix together, but stir it really fast, and it

4. Keep checking the texture as you add a TBS of beaten egg at a time. The dough is ready when the dough is thin enough that when you scoop the dough up, a lump falls after 3~5 seconds, making a triangle shape from the spatula.

Tips: If the dough is too hard, the cream puff skin will be hard, and if the dough is too soft, it doesn

You don’t have to use all of the egg if the dough is ready before you use up the egg. If the dough is still hard after using all of the egg, beat another egg and keep adding a TS of beaten egg until the dough is ready. I repeat, one TS of it at a time and stop adding egg when the dough is thin enough. Many cream puff recipes may not mention adding the egg little by little, but each egg is different in size and just a little too much egg can ruin it. I’ve tried this recipe several times already, and I used just two eggs every time and no extra egg, but I’d always add egg little by little.

What would happen if you put too much egg in the dough because you didn’t want to waste egg or got lazy? See here.

5. When the dough is ready, put it in a ziploc bag (or pastry bag if you have one) and cut a corner of the bag.

Tips: I put the bag in a glass and put the dough in. It makes it easier to keep the bag steady.

6. Hold the bag 1/4 inch away from the pan, squeeze the dough out straight down (1.5 inch diameter), and slowly move 1 inch to the side (still squeezing), and move it back, and squeeze one more time and pull the bag straight up. Make sure you save some for ears!

One...

...two...

...three! And pull the bag straight up.

Tip: This may sound difficult, but you just want to make a pear shape. Try keeping the bag vertical to the pan when squeezing.

7. For the ears put the ziploc filled with dough on Totoro’s head, and squeeze a bit of dough. Don’t worry too much if the ear looks pointy or too big at this point.

Make sure each dough is at least 1 inch away from each other.

8. With a wet finger, gently push down any pointy parts on the dough and ears.

Tip: If you’re making smaller Totoro in the same batch, try not to make it too small. It might burn.

9. Put it on the oven and baked it for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN!

Tips: Each oven is different. So I suggest you keep peeking inside the oven while you bake. If the dough is puffy and golden brown, it’s done.

10. Lower the heat to 350 degrees, and bake for another 15 minutes. (400 degrees for 10 minutes is to make the cream puff puffy, 350 degrees F for 15 minutes is to dry the inside of the cream puff)

11. Take it out, remove the puffs from the aluminum foil while they’re still warm.

Tip: If you wait too long, the bottom of cream puffs might get stuck on the pan. If it’s stuck, heat it up at low heat (about 200-250 degrees F) for 15~ minutes, and try removing them again. But it’s not the end of the world if there’s a hole at the bottom. (see Step 14)

12. Make a slit in each cream puff and let them cool down. If it’s moist inside, remove moist dough from inside, and stick it back into the turned-off oven.

13. Make Totoro eyes A & B

Eyes A:

Squeeze white icing on wax paper (or aluminum foil or plastic wrap) for Totoro

Microwave regular chocolate (Don

Tips: For Eyes A, you have to be very very careful not to break them. Also, icing eyes will start melting when you touch so you have to be quick.

Eyes B:

Put white chocolate chips on a wax paper or plastic wrap and microwave it for 30 seconds.

Put another piece of wax paper or plastic wrap on top of the chocolate, and press the chocolate down with a finger lightly. Put it in the freezer for a couple of minutes until the chocolate hardens.

Microwave regular chocolate. Take the white chocolate out of the fridge. Use the back of the toothpick to put chocolate pupil onto the white chocolate. Put it back in the freezer.

White chocolate gets very hard, so you don

Tips: I’ve tried Eyes A a couple of times in my previous Totoro cream puffs, but after experimenting, I recommend Eyes B for beginners.  They both look pretty much the same from the front. (You can see a picture of Totoro with Eyes B from front on my flickr) The only thing is that you can’t make very small eyes with Eyes B method.

Alternative for eyes: If you’re more skilled, put icing directly with the tube on the cream puffs. (You can attach the tip on some icing tube)

14. Once they’re cooled down, put custard in a ziploc bag, cut the corner off and squeeze it in from the slit.

A hole at the bottom? No problem! Squeeze the custard in from the bottom. (That’s another way to fill cream puff anyway)

15. Take the eyes out of the freezer, carefully remove the eyes. Put a little bit of icing where you want the eyes to be, and stick them on.

For Chibi-Totoro, dust with powder sugar using tea strainer BEFORE you put eyes on. For Chu-Totoro, dust with powder sugar first, and cut paper for the stomach part and put it over a puff and dust with green tea powder BEFORE you put eyes on.

16. Draw nose and whiskers with melted chocolate using a toothpick. (back of the toothpick for the nose, tip of the toothpick for the whiskers)

Here they are!

Now watch them disappear in less than a minute! :D mI’ve been baking almost every night for couple of nights straight for this how-to, and after I make them, I just take them to work and give them away. I’m very glad that all my co-workers like Totoro, like sweets, and love sweet Totoro even more!

The instructions may seem really long but I just wanted to explain every step as much as I can, especially for those who never made cream puffs. It’s really not as hard as it looks. If you don’t want to make too many Totoro, you can use the half of the measurements to make half the amount. Actually, I’ve used the half of the measurements for the first couple of times, so that I could practice and ‘get to know’ my new electric oven.

Like I mentioned, each oven is different, so sometimes even though the dough is perfect, you still might have to adjust the baking time or temperature or both. Even if it doesn’t turn out perfect the first time, don’t get discouraged! Keep trying, and remember what you did and how it turned out last time.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention but you can freeze just the puffs or cream puffs!

You can freeze just the puffs after you bake them, make a slit and let them cool down. Put them in an airtight container and freeze them. When you eat, take them out the freezer, and let them thaw at room temperature before you put custard cream or whipped cream in.

or

You can freeze the puffs after you put custard cream (or ice cream in this case) too. Put them in an airtight container and freeze them. When you eat, take them out the freezer, and leave them out for 5~10 minutes at room temperature until the skin is soft enough to eat. And you’ll have cream puff ice cream!

How to make Totoro cream puffs on my flickr

If you have any questions about any of my how-to’s, please feel free to leave a comment or email me!

cNo Gravatar April 8, 2009 at 4:31 am

hey anna,
im so amazed with your bento skill! :) ) and always inspired.
anyway…im just wondering… i want to make this for my sister’s birthday…but i was thinking of making a bigggg totoro… almost the size of a small cake… do you think that’ll work? or would it be too big that the puff would go flat?

thanks in advance,

Wendy LeowNo Gravatar April 8, 2009 at 8:35 am

Hi Anna

Was waiting for this!! Thanks!!!

btw – would you/ could you be able to do anything exciting with cream cheese? my kiddos eat it with crackers and I seriously can’t think of what to do with it cos’ it’s so mushy…cheers :)

patNo Gravatar April 10, 2009 at 12:31 am

Anna,

Thanks a bunch for this recipe! I was surprised at how easy and delicious it was (I’m currently baking my second batch =D ) I had a bit of trouble piping in the custard though… any pointers?

(you can see it all coming out!)

thanks in advance and keep on blogging! Your site is my favorite

cNo Gravatar April 14, 2009 at 3:23 am

Thank you anna, for the pointers :) )
Umm… I’ll think about it hahaha… might still try the huge puffs if i had the gut to do it on the day lol ;p Otherwise I’ll try your other idea about arranging the cream puffs into totoro shape hee hee :)

Doumo! m(_ _)m

Kimi619No Gravatar April 15, 2009 at 7:53 pm

This is such a great post, thanks for sharing!

Daryl SuratNo Gravatar April 16, 2009 at 6:52 am

My initial reaction upon seeing this chronicle was to mentally chant “E C DUB,” as that is some seriously hardcore dedication to the pursuit of festive baked goods.

I was never one for cream puffs as the notion of custard terrifies me, but perhaps confronting one’s fears is a necessity in this case. Indeed, as I think about it, Totoro once said he would eat my soul. But with the successful application of this knowledge you have conferred unto me, I would be the one eating Totoro! Oh, how the tables will have turned.

inadvertentgardenerNo Gravatar April 16, 2009 at 8:53 am

These are totally adorable…and there is NO WAY I would ever do all this work. But I would eat this work, if someone served it to me. Seriously, though — totally awesome post, and great, detailed instructions!

sourmilkNo Gravatar April 16, 2009 at 10:52 am

best how-to bakery site i’ve seen. great job on sharing the tips and the details.

BrianNo Gravatar April 16, 2009 at 11:17 am

Oh awesome! I gotta try making these!
Great job! パチパチパチ!

tackducksNo Gravatar April 16, 2009 at 11:51 am

レシピは違いますが、トトロを目標に作ってみました。
しかし・・・なんかイマイチです。
またがんばります。

jenni s-gNo Gravatar April 16, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Love these and such great instructions! Thanks for posting!

MollyNo Gravatar April 16, 2009 at 8:52 pm

This is the most insanely cute idea I have ever seen. And my favorite movie of all time. You are my hero.

el5antoNo Gravatar April 16, 2009 at 9:58 pm

awsome!!! aaargh! i wanna make some!!!

MizuuNo Gravatar April 16, 2009 at 11:05 pm

That is must-try, absolutely!
I’m not that skilled with baking, but when you don’t challenge yourself, you don’t succeed, right?

ThataNo Gravatar April 17, 2009 at 6:50 am

Thanks for sharing. How creative are you.

VanesaNo Gravatar April 17, 2009 at 9:27 am

This is so wonderful! :D
I’ll make it this weekend!
Thanks a lot for sharing this cute recipe and design :)

KimbleNo Gravatar April 17, 2009 at 12:44 pm

That is so awesome!

PellucidityNo Gravatar April 17, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I’ll say it again, I can’t wait for an excuse to make these ;)

Thanks for the recipe! This is a friend’s favorite movie from childhood, so I forwarded the recipe along.

Wonderful.

daFoolNo Gravatar April 19, 2009 at 6:50 am

We tried your recipe, thank you. Tasted good but we didn’t get as nice looking ones than you did.

HelenyNo Gravatar April 20, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Totoro is so cute and I’m in love with cream puffs! I will definitely try this recipe someday.

S. MuisNo Gravatar April 23, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Wicked! Thanks for the tutorial!

qqqNo Gravatar April 24, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Well done… next is the challenge to make them vegan…

secywNo Gravatar April 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm

this is very cute!!! awesome tutorial!

sathiencatNo Gravatar April 25, 2009 at 3:20 am

WOW! Totoro + Creampuffs! two of my greatest loves. <3 thank you so much for this tutorial! this is my first time here. can’t wait to check out your other stuff ^^ Have a nice day! :)

moshi_moshiNo Gravatar April 25, 2009 at 5:08 am

I <3 you.

EmelindNo Gravatar April 26, 2009 at 9:58 am

AWW THIS IS SO CUTE! REAALLY LOVE IT! SHALL TRY IT TMR

kimNo Gravatar April 27, 2009 at 10:45 am

that is AWESOME!!!!

appletiniNo Gravatar April 29, 2009 at 4:51 am

Thanks for writing this recipe up! I actually tried making this tonight, and while the custard turned out yummy (I took a risk and substituted flour for strawberry pudding mix), the puffs came out flat as cookies, and slightly burnt! :( Maybe I put in too much egg…and maybe adding 2 tsp of pudding powder to the puff mix was a horrible idea (I was feeling a bit adventurous).

I’m wondering, is there a way we can check up on the puffs without opening the door? My oven unfortunately does not have a window, so it’s more or less a guessing game to see when the puffs are done.

I will definitely try this again tomorrow night! Thanks again for the inspiration! ^_^

JudeNo Gravatar April 30, 2009 at 12:13 am

What an awesome post. I’m a big fan of Miyazaki and cream puffs :)

tofugirlNo Gravatar April 30, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Hi Anna–this was such a genius idea, and I had to go make Totoro puffs pretty much as soon as I saw this post (okay, well I waited for the end of the work day first). Thank you for making such a detailed post (although I am apparently not very good at following directions ;) ), and next time maybe my Totoros will not come out so deformed looking :) .

If you are curious to see mine: http://openmouthinsertcookie.blogspot.com/2009/04/totoro-cream-puffs.html

Fat NinjaNo Gravatar May 15, 2009 at 3:18 pm
suzuzakamiNo Gravatar June 22, 2009 at 12:52 pm

hey AnnaTheRed, thanks for the cute cream puffs!
the first time i tried, the totoro became flat and soggy.
but don’t worry, i’ll try again next morning (when my mom and and dad aren’t awake) :)
아리갓도!

Joel PNo Gravatar June 23, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Thanks! Made ours for my son’s 7th birthday party this past weekend:

My addition was dusting with blue and white confectioner’s sugar to make chu-totoro. It was so much work to get two colors and not cover the eyes, nose, and whiskers that only the birthday boy got one. Everyone else got a bald one. :-)

SaraNo Gravatar August 13, 2009 at 12:43 am

Amazing idea!! I’m really going to try this even though I’ve never made cream puffs before. I love all your stuff and thanks for a great tutorial ^_^

JoyceNo Gravatar August 31, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Hi,
Just chance upon yr blog while looking for soem cream puff ideas.
Your Chibi-Totoro caught my attention….
Very adorable, wonder willi be able to do it like you…
cos hard to pipe out to ensure the Chibi-Totoro got a smooth body as what you mention, care to teach me how to pipe properly for the stomach. And where do you cut to pipe in yout custard. Stomach or right below…

RDg
Joyce

CherylNo Gravatar September 2, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Can u freeze the cream puffs with the eyes and whiskers on it too? Also, how do u pack them later? Just wait til it’s soft, then pack, or can u pack frozen foods with fresh foods in a bento box?

sharon SeeNo Gravatar October 3, 2009 at 2:58 am

looking for a particular food blog and stumbled into yours. this post made me laugh! I love totoro and I crocheted him for a friend before. http://www.flickr.com/photos/72368473@N00/2360567013/

blessedhomemakerNo Gravatar December 4, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Simply awesome! Thanks for the step-by-step pics!

KendraNo Gravatar December 16, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Thank you so much for this~ I’m going to make these with my sister for my Japanese class for Christmas. ^-^ You did a great job explaining, I hope mine turn out, considering I can’t check them very much.. because the light in our oven isn’t working and my dad won’t fix it. -.-;

But yeah thank you! The pictures reaallly helped. <3

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar December 21, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Hi Kendra
I hope your cream puffs turned out good. :)
If your oven uses a light bulb, you can just get a light bulb for oven (it’s a specific light bulb for appliance) at any hardware store. I thought mine was just completely broken and didn’t really think of fixing it… but I just changed the bulb the other day and now it works! I have no idea what kind of oven you use, but I just thought I’d mention it.

NoemiNo Gravatar December 30, 2009 at 10:20 am

Bonjour AnnaTheRed,

Thank you very much for your lovely puffs. Your works are so amazing!!!
Would you please tell me know how thick the dough is?

Merci =)

NoemiNo Gravatar December 30, 2009 at 10:39 am

Re-bonjour AnnaTheRed, it’s me again.

My puffs are not pump up and I have no room for the custard T.T

Shall I put a tea-spoon of yeast ?!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar January 10, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Hi Noemi
Sorry to hear that your puffs didn’t come out puffed. =/ When the puffs get flat, it usually means you had too much egg in it or you opened the oven too soon. I’ve never made cream puffs with yeast, but you can use any cream puff recipe you want to make Totoro cream puffs. Don’t get discouraged and try again! Good luck and let me know how it goes. ;)

GeorgiaNo Gravatar January 4, 2010 at 5:49 am

Hi,
I made these today, and I wanna say that the how-to was so detailed and helpful. thanks so much! ^_^
Although, mine turned out looking horrible, his face was creepy.. but they taste good anyway :)

You’re a genius!

huiyingNo Gravatar January 6, 2010 at 10:29 am

Hi, the cream puffs were great! However, my friends said that the custard is a bit hard, not as soft. Do i pour the mixture through a sieve more times to solve this? Or do i put more milk and less whipping cream?

Thanks for sharing such a good recipe btw! (:

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar January 10, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Hi huiying
Not sure how hard the custard your friend made (it should be about the same consistency as pudding or sour cream), but did your friend make custard with the stove top? If so, maybe your friend heated the custard too much. If your friend used the microwave, maybe the temperature of the microwave was too high. By the way, did you take pictures of the cream puffs?? Email them to me if you did!

TMBNo Gravatar February 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I’ve always had problems w/ my cream puffs deflating (usually I’d make 2 dozens and less than half remain puffed-up while the others go flat upon being removed from the oven). I was searching for methods to prevent deflation when I came across your site and I just fell in love with the rabbit-like cream puffs! (I’m not familiar w/ Totoro.) They’re SO adorable! I’m going to try to make them (w/ your detailed instructions — thanks for the trouble!) w/ all the tips I’ve read on preventing deflation. So cute-looking! If I succeed in making them I probably wouldn’t have the heart to eat them! :)

RebeccaNo Gravatar February 23, 2010 at 9:06 am

I made them here: http://theresthebeef.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-showed-you-things-that-id-made.html They were partially successful, if rushed! I’m also currently finishing off my Totoro mittens (also pictured on my blog). Hope you love them! And thank you for the recipe!

veronicaNo Gravatar April 11, 2010 at 12:16 am

i made the creampuffs twice. the first time there wasn’t enough dough, so the puffs came out small, burnt, and stone-like. the second time, i doubled the dough recipe and they came out great! they look sooo cute! i guess the lesson is, if at first you don’t succeed, try try again.

thanks for the recipe :)

michelleNo Gravatar June 27, 2010 at 10:19 pm

how do u do make the pear shape me plus two other people cant even make 1 pear :(

ModoNo Gravatar July 21, 2010 at 11:56 am

Thnx Anna!
U r such an inspiration!
I decided to try a batch this evening when I saw ur recipe at http://www.instructables.com. this afternoon.
I’ve not bake for more then 10 yrs now ;P So it was pretty challenging since I’ve never make custard or cream puffs b4. It came out ugly as **** but its super Tasty thanks to ur amazing custard recipe ;)

tiffanyNo Gravatar August 11, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Hi Anna!
I tried making these totoro cream puffs today. It was pretty difficult to make because this was my first try, but they are delicious and in my opinion, look pretty good! Thanks for sharing :)

tiffanyNo Gravatar August 11, 2010 at 11:37 pm
ManjaNo Gravatar August 24, 2010 at 7:26 am

This sounds and looks so delicious! I can’t wait to make some! I’m really eager and am releived the recipe isn’t to tricky! ^_^

Amy in OzNo Gravatar December 1, 2010 at 10:31 am

These look fantastic! I want to make them for my girls, but we are gluten and dairy free. The puffs should work with gluten-free plain flour, but I can’t think of a custard substitute. Any ideas?? (I have rhubarb on the fridge. I might test stewing it and thickening with gelatin… I’m not sure though of biting into Totoro and red oozing out, though!)

MagdalaNo Gravatar December 23, 2010 at 11:39 pm

I tried making these cream puffs but my dough was to thin even though I added two eggs in it. I’m not sure what I did wrong.

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar January 15, 2011 at 12:58 am

Magdala
Sorry for the late reply! The size of eggs vary, and the amount of egg affects the thickness of dough in this recipe. So you need to add the eggs to the dough bit by bit and keep checking the texture as you add a TBS of beaten egg at a time. It’s ready when the dough is thin enough that when you scoop the dough up, a lump falls after 3~5 seconds and makes a triangle shape from the spatula. I’ve always used this recipe but there are a lot of simpler recipes for cream puff dough, so if mine doesn’t work out for you, try some other cream puff recipes!
Good luck and let me know how it turns out!

mekareNo Gravatar February 11, 2011 at 11:17 am

i just made these and my kid ate them without even bother to let them cool down .
we also put a small amount of strawberry jellie in them for our huge sweet tooth. thanks for the tutorial

Twinkle TwinkNo Gravatar July 14, 2011 at 4:14 am

Dear Anna,
thank you, thank you, thank youuuu for posting the tutorial and recipe \(>v<)/
here's my Totoro puffs…
I'm so really happy when they puffing inside the oven hihihi

juhiNo Gravatar December 27, 2011 at 6:52 am

hey vry nice instruction for dis recipe! cream puff is my fav!!i tried to make the puff itself first by bakin in microwave…but i feel it doesnt turn out well..:( it wasnt in brown color…n was abit hard…n i was juz baked it for 1min40sec only!can u plz tell me how long to bake in microwave…n y d puff was lookin yello?:(

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar January 8, 2012 at 10:09 am

Unfortunately, you cannot bake cream puffs in a microwave. You have to use a conventional oven to bake them. In some foreign countries, such as Japan, they have a microwave which also can “bake” but I don’t think they sell them in the U.S. Good luck!

Periwinkle PuppyNo Gravatar February 3, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I made these but they turned out how the ones you added too much egg too even though if anything I added too little egg :( But they still tasted like cream puffs so they were worth it, especially since they were Totoro! ^.^

Sae Hee ParkNo Gravatar April 12, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Hi Anna! I love totoro so much! i am so going to try this. would it be wierd if i used custard for the eyes instead of white chocolate? its hard to find white chocolate (nevermind white chocolat chips!) in korea which is where i live.

DKNo Gravatar July 17, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Hi!

For some reason, I only need to use one small egg instead of two large eggs. Does it differ by that much, or could I possibly be doing this incorrectly? Also, my dough comes out a lot lighter than yours. Which makes me think it might be the butter. What type/brand of butter do you use?

Thanks!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Sorry for the late reply! Egg size differs so it’s best to go with the texture. In other words, try adding beaten eggs little by little. As for the color of the dough, it could be just under-baked but I’m not very sure. I used generic unsalted butter. Hope this helps!

GabrielaNo Gravatar February 17, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Hello Anna
You did an amazing job! I saw the ones they make in Shiro Hige in Tokyo and they seem to be a bit bigger. Is it possible for you to blog or let me know how they make the ears for the Totoro for those? The ones you made in this post are resting on the sheet whereas the ones that are bigger are not, if you know what I mean. I am wondering if the ears will fall out. I hope this is not confusing for you.

Many thanks for your help!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar April 9, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Hi c,
I’ve never made a cream puff bigger than regular size, so I have no idea… But, there’s an online store in Japan that sells gigantic cream puffs 8-inches in diameter. You can see the pictures of it onthis page, so it is possible. But I don’t know if you can use the same dough to make a cream puff that big. Maybe you can make regular puffs and place them as the shape of Totoro?

Hi Wendy,
Cream cheese, eh? Hmmm,,, I’ll play with it for a while, and get back to you when I come up with something!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar April 13, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Hi pat,
Your cream puffs look soooo cute! I think you did a better job than me.
About the custard, did you cool it down in the fridge? The custard should be pretty firm after being kept in the fridge for a while. Still they look delicious though!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar April 24, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Hi daFool
I checked out your site, and seems like the cream puff dough was too thin. Make sure that when you scoop the dough up, a lump falls after 3~5 seconds, making a triangle shape from the spatula.
Hope you’ll try again!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar May 1, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Sorry to hear that the puffs didn’t get puffy.
If your cream puffs were flat, you might have put too much egg, but I can’t really be sure… it could be the pudding mix you added. Consistency of the dough is the most important thing when making cream puffs. Make sure it’s not too runny or too hard.

>is there a way we can check up on the puffs without opening the door?

I don’t think there is. You just have to experiment with your oven , dough and cooking time.

Hope you’ll try again, and let me know how it turns out!

appletiniNo Gravatar May 3, 2009 at 5:56 am

The second time was a charm! :) Just used flour, correct amount of egg, and figured out a good oven time. The result:

Thanks again for posting this recipe! :)