nonbento-swarm.jpg

how to make custard cream by stove top

April 5, 2009

in Baking,basics,how-to

I did how to make custard cream with a microwave before, but for those who don’t have a microwave, here’s a recipe for how to make custard cream by stove top!

There are so many of custard cream recipes out there, and regular recipes for custard cream usually tells you to add certain ingredients at a certain time, and have milk at room temperature or something like that, but this recipe doesn’t. I’m very sure hardcore bakers probably won’t approve of this recipe, but guess what, it still makes delicious custard! Just like the other custard cream recipe I posted, this one uses the whole egg. I hate wasting egg whites, and I like sweets that aren’t too sweet. You get milder custard cream by using the whole egg.  And since it’s not too sweet or too rich, you can put a lot of it too. :P

[How to make custard cream in an (kinda) old fashioned way]
- 300 cc of milk
- 1 whole egg (beaten)
- 2 TBS of sugar
- 2 TBS of flour
- a little bit of vanilla essence

1. Put beaten egg, milk, sugar, and vanilla essence in a sauce pan and heat it at medium temperature. Put flour in (I sifted the flour, but not absolutely necessary if you don’t have a sifter) and start stirring with a whisk.

2. Keep stirring with a whisk for 13~15 minutes until it becomes creamy. (Have someone to chat with you in the kitchen. It’s very boring doing this alone. :P )

About 10 minutes later

15 minutes later

3. Once it’s like thick cream, put it in a bowl or tupperware container (put plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard) and let it cool down. (Make sure you lick the custard off the whisk!)

4, After it’s cooled down, put it in the fridge until you use it.

That’s it!

The only thing you have to be careful about is to not stop stirring until it’s creamy. If you see bubbles popping up in the mixture, you aren’t stirring well enough. You don’t have to whip it like crazy, but just do not stop stirring. Don’t worry too much if it looks soft or too watery to put in a cream puff. It’ll get harder once it’s cooled down.

Like I mentioned, this custard cream isn’t super sweet. I suppose you can add a bit more sugar if you really want. I like it as is. I think it’s also perfect sweetness to eat with fruits or whipped cream.

How to make custard cream by stove top on my flickr

If you have any questions about any of my how-to’s, please feel free to leave a comment or email me!

maryNo Gravatar May 2, 2009 at 2:57 pm

The recipe worked well for me, but it took about 30 minutes instead of the 15…maybe I should turn up the heat more

suzuakamiNo Gravatar June 24, 2009 at 9:50 pm

thanks for the cream recipe. i made this twice and i loved it!

AmekoNo Gravatar December 20, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Hi there!

quick question….is 300 cc of milk the same as 200ml ?
or is it different? if so how much is it in ml or cups?

please and thank you ^-^

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar December 21, 2009 at 3:28 am

Hi Ameko,
Yes, 300 cc of milk is almost exactly 300 ml of milk. It’s about 1 1/4 cup.

AngelinaNo Gravatar February 8, 2010 at 7:36 pm

how much cream does this recipe make? i wanted to make this, and i can’t wait to ^__^
thanks :D

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar February 10, 2010 at 8:17 am

Hi Angelina
This recipe makes custard cream for about 18 three-inch cream puffs or 1 nine-inch pie. It uses 300cc of milk, so the custard should be about 350ml? Sorry I can’t give you the exact weight… but if it turns out to be a lot more than you need, you don’t have to feel guilty for licking all the left overs since this custard doesn’t use whipped cream or butter! :P

thelullaby99No Gravatar July 12, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Hi Anna, what kind of flour did you use? Can I use all purpose flour?

VictoriaNo Gravatar December 14, 2010 at 1:51 am

I used this method and it came out really well! I’ve never made custard before, but I’d always had an image of it being really hard, but it wasn’t! I have a gas burner stove, and I used cream rather than whole milk, these two factors I think were responsible for my custard taking a little less time, maybe 12 minutes. I did make it a little thinner than your end result, though, that’s to my personal preference. Thank you for sharing this recipe! I will try making custard again often!

debra will-barbNo Gravatar November 29, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Just made this to use in eggnog cake pops and it tastes fantastic and it was easy, it is chilling now. I cant wait to mix with the eggnog cake and dip in chocolate. I love quick and easy recipes because I have horrible back issues!!!

MisakoNo Gravatar January 5, 2012 at 6:14 pm

This custard is amazing! It is my first time making cream puffs and I’m so happy the cream turned out great. This is a wonderful recipe. I added an extra tablespoon of sugar because I like sweetness. I’m going to make the shells now with your recipe! :)

RasaNo Gravatar December 31, 2012 at 7:38 am

Made custard following this recipie and it came out perfect! Thanks for this simple recipie.