header-bento-mechazawa.jpg

how to make custard cream with a microwave

April 2, 2009

in Baking,basics,how-to

This is a custard cream recipe I used for my Totoro cream puffs!

I’ll be doing a how-to on Totoro cream puffs soon, so I thought I’d put a recipe and how-to for the custard today. Have this made (and in the fridge) before you start making cream puffs!

[How to make custard cream with a microwave]
- 1 whole egg OR *2 egg yolks
- 3 tbs of sugar
- 1 tbs of flour
- 1 tbs of corn starch
- 200 ml of milk
- 1 tbs of heavy whipping cream (heavy cream) OR 1tbs of unsalted butter (I used whipping cream)
- vanilla essence

*A whole egg makes lighter custard cream, egg yolks will make heavier custard cream.

1. Put an egg in a microwavable bowl and mix. Add sugar in and mix well.

2. Using a tea strainer or sifter, put the mixed flour and corn starch into the bowl while mixing.

3. Add milk little by little and mix. Afterwards, pour the liquid through a sieve. (It’s not absolutely necessary, but it’ll make the custard smoother.)

4. Microwave it on high uncovered for 1 minute and half.

5. Take it out and mix well.

It should still be pretty watery.

It should still be pretty watery.

6. Microwave it on high again for another 1 minute and half.

7. Take it out and mix well, and add whipping cream (or butter) and vanilla essence and mix some more.

It should be like pudding after the second microwave.

Adding heavy whipping cream and vanilla essence.

8. Put plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard, and let it cool down.

9. Once it’s cooled down, put it in the fridge until you use it.

The default temperature on my microwave is high, so I didn’t really set the temperature or anything, but if you don’t know what’s “high” on your microwave, check the texture of custard when you take it out of the microwave the second time. If it’s still watery, microwave it for 30 more seconds.

How to make custard cream with a microwave on my flickr

If you have any questions about any of my how-to’s, please feel free to leave a comment or email me!

kellieNo Gravatar April 3, 2009 at 9:18 am

wow cool. i just loveeee custard so much! i appreciate this tutorial very much. i will be back for more recipes :)

hexi2008No Gravatar April 4, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I tried this recipe last night! i loved it! so good!
i was surprised at how fun cream puffs are to make!
i love cooking anyways but it’s nice to find a recipe that’s supposed to be hard but is actually really easy. ^_^
i even tried making a chibitotoro one. it’s up on my blog. >w<

thank you so much for your recipes!

zorojrNo Gravatar June 13, 2009 at 11:37 pm

which method is better to make the custard? (taste better and is more consistent in flavors when made?)
i am thinking of trying the recipe and i want to know which method is the better choice.

zorojrNo Gravatar June 22, 2009 at 8:31 pm

oh ok cool i will definitely try the microwave one if i can then since it seems a lot simpler.

it is ok that you took a while to answer my post. i don’t really expect you to respond right away since i too live in NY. by the end of the day, i usually collapse on my bed when i get home.

^_^ thank you for the tip i am going to try the recipe tomorrow (my day off from work. yay!)

earthaNo Gravatar July 27, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Hi Anna! I’m planning on making cream puffs for tonight, and for the custard, is the corn starch absolutely necessary? I can’t find it at home and I don’t have time to go buy it at the market. Is there anything I can substitute for it?

Thankyou :)

AmekoNo Gravatar December 20, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Hi there!

I’m going to try making the Totoro puff’s and just had one question about this custard recipe…..how much vanilla is needed? I couldn’t find a measurement in the recipe ^^;

Thanks a bunch!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar December 21, 2009 at 3:30 am

Hi Ameko
You just need a couple of droplets of vanilla essence. It’s just for the aroma, so if you don’t already have vanilla essence. You don’t “have to” use it… but it feels like it always tastes better with vanilla essence though.

AmekoNo Gravatar December 21, 2009 at 5:27 pm

ah…OK thanks so much^-^ I”m making them for my family for Christmas…wish me luck ^-^

kellyNo Gravatar January 10, 2010 at 12:56 pm

hi i just made this last night and its all watery and not going to work in my cream puffs :( what went wrong?!? i followed the recipe perfectly. the 200 ml of milk = 7 ounces of milk on an online converer. do you find this correct?

veronicaNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 4:33 pm

how long can you keep this custard cream in the fridge? i have yet to get the chocolate and icing for the totoro cream puffs.

\i can’t wait to make this! thank you for the recipe.

JocelyneNo Gravatar April 6, 2010 at 10:34 pm

How long should i out it in the frige? :/

e-mail me back soon if u can :D

-Thanks :)

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar April 7, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Hi veronica and Jocelyne
Custard cream should be good for at least a couple of days in the fridge. I usually ended up eating the leftover custard cream, so I’ve never kept mine for more than a couple of days. :P I heard that you can also freeze custard cream, but I’ve never done it. Good luck!

LizNo Gravatar May 18, 2010 at 1:38 pm

You are the best person in the whole world for sharing how to do custard without all the finicky water bath stuff. I love you forever, but don’t worry, not in a creepy stalker kind of way. For one thing, I’m going to be too busy making and eating cream puffs!!!

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar June 22, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Hi zorojr

Sorry for a late reply. Both my boyfriend and I ate both microwaved custard cream and stove top custard cream, and we couldn’t tell difference in taste between them. I put both recipes because some people just don’t like cooking food in a microwave, or don’t have a microwave. So it’s totally up to you! Even though I wrote it’s not absolutely necessary, try “pouring the liquid through a sieve” in Step 3 if you can. It’ll make custard definitely smoother.

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar July 27, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Hi eartha,
I’ve never made this recipe without cornstarch, and unfortunately I have no idea how it’ll come out without it. (I think it might be too watery.) If you don’t have cornstarch, my advice is for you is to search online for a recipe for custard cream that doesn’t use it. Sorry I couldn’t be much of help. Good luck!