header-bento_ilomilo.jpg

bento #28: Toon Link

January 22, 2009

in bento,video games

I think I’ve mentioned on my blog before, but I don’t like making human characters for my bento. One of the reasons is I think it’s a bit creepy to eat human characters. I know many people will say “And it’s not creepy to eat Totoro???”, but it’s just something about human characters that weird me out a bit. Also another reason (the main reason) is that it’s really hard to make food look like them!! Also I prefer my bento to be 3-D than rather than 2-D, so I usually pick non-human characters that I can “sculpt” with food. But just like Professor Layton and Cooking Mama, this was very special, so I made an exception.

Bento #28: Toon Link
Created and eaten on: 12/11/2008

My boyfriend is a HUGE Legend of Zelda fan. I do like Zelda too, but the Zelda I remember (and always will) is the Legend of Zelda which was released in Japan in 1986 (The Adventure of Link). It was soooo hard to slash ANYTHING with that sword!! Everything was harder in the 8-bit world. Link also got more pixels and had more human-like proportions and it just didn’t look right to me… but then the Wind Waker was released. Link’s head was huge and he was adorable again! A couple of years later, “the Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass” was released for DS. I remember when my boyfriend received the feather stylus. (Of course, he still has it in the box though :P ) Toon Link was too adorable and toony not to make a bento of!

I first thought of making Link on his boat, but there was too much blue… so I gave up. I love when Link raises his hand in the air and strikes a poise when finds an item, so I decided to make Toon Link in the forest, finding a piece of heart.

First, I put rice in a bento box for background. I put Japanese style hamburg with sauce that I had made the night before, put it on the rice as the ground, and surrounded it with broccoli and asparagus.

I made the shape of Link’s head and body with potato salad I had from the night before. I then microwaved lettuce and wrapped it around his body for his shirt (dress ??). I was very surprised that lettuce and spinach looked like real fabric! I sliced and cut carrot for his boots, seaweed and cheese for his belt, and cut out a circle out of an egg sheet. (see “how to make an egg sheet”) I put cut out turkey for his hands and face, put seaweed on fish cake for his eyes, and fake sausage for his mouth. I used rest of the egg sheet to make the hair and also made little flowers that I put on the broccoli.

For the flowers, I cut fake fishcake and the pink part of kamaboko to make them  just like the ones from Wind Waker. I also tried to make the leaves with spinach, but it didn’t come out too good… (It was too wrinkly)

I cut out konnyaku (yam cake) with a heart shaped cutter, and on that I put a smaller heart which I cut out of kamaboko with a smaller cutter. Using the same cutter I used for the pink heart for the piece of heart, I sliced carrot to made several life hearts and a half.

I liked how his clothes came out, because it really looked like fabric! But overall, I felt that it lacked color. Maybe because I used turkey instead of ham, and the background was just rice. I don’t think the proportion of Link’s head to his body is correct either…  then I realized that’s why I don’t like making human characters for my bento. T_T

Toon Link:
- potato salad wrapped with lettuce and spinach
- turkey for his face and hands
- carrot for his boots
- egg for his hair
- seaweed and kamaboko (fish cake) for his eyes
- fake sausage for his mouth

Piece of heart:
- konnyaku (yam cake) and kamaboko

Life:
- carrot

Flowers:
- kamaboko
- spinach
- egg sheet

Other food:
- rice
- Japanese style hamburg
- broccoli
- asparagus

Heidi DNo Gravatar January 22, 2009 at 11:06 pm

I think that is the Wind Waker Link…is it? My husband has and plays all of his Zelda vidya games {trying to sound like Hank Hill}

This one is really neat! I see what you mean by eating the human ones though. :P

TanjaNo Gravatar January 22, 2009 at 11:43 pm

I love it! The “fabric” works really, really well.

Would you mind sharing your recipe for Japanese style hamburgs?

LyvvieNo Gravatar January 23, 2009 at 2:39 am

I love it! So what if his head is a bit big – it’s a caricature and they’re supposed to have big heads. What did you use for his legs; is it the potato salad?

SileNo Gravatar January 23, 2009 at 8:29 am

I can almost hear the “YOU GOT A PIECE OF HEART” sound effect!

asiantomNo Gravatar January 23, 2009 at 11:17 am

This is awesome, what are the chances you’ll create a Street Fighter bento? Justtt messin’!:]

ebundriNo Gravatar January 23, 2009 at 11:41 am

Your bento was featured on geekologie!

I thought that was pretty cool. :)

VanessaNo Gravatar January 23, 2009 at 3:16 pm

WOW that Bento is just perfect!! dont be that hard on yourself… I love it!

NAOmniNo Gravatar January 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Hey there!

I’m linking to you again just to give you a shout out.

NAOmni

ryanNo Gravatar January 24, 2009 at 6:56 pm

i love this! great work yet again…probably my favorite so far. linking to you of course.

LeafPandaNo Gravatar January 25, 2009 at 10:14 pm

If you haven’t noticed yet, this was featured on kotaku.com

edixNo Gravatar January 26, 2009 at 12:02 am

congrats, youre on kotaku ^_^
It looks beautiful and tasty….*drool*

p.s.
geez i feel hungry now <_<

kceeNo Gravatar March 24, 2009 at 10:09 pm

LINK I’m so in love with this.

CarolineNo Gravatar April 11, 2009 at 3:43 am

Hi Anna,

can you tell me what fake sausage is? and how did you make his legs (the creamy white part that supports the carrot boots)? thank you much, and keep these deliciously wonderful works of art coming! :)

Link LinkNo Gravatar April 26, 2009 at 12:28 pm

hi there. i found you bento works simply amazing. no words to describe them! i’ve link you in my post but if you disagree, pls drop me a line and i’ll remove it immediately. thank you.

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar April 13, 2009 at 8:47 am

Hi Caroline,
Fake sausage is made with fish cake. It’s very common in Japan, and kids eat it as snack. It’s not really meant to substitute real sausage, and it is actually called fish sausage in Japan. My boyfriend was calling it fake sausage, so I started calling it. :P (It’s funny that my boyfriend actually didn’t know it was fish cake until I asked him how he’d describe fake sausage just now.)
And the legs are made out with potato salad. I call it potato salad but it’s more like mashed potato with mayonnaise. I used plastic wrap to shape the salad. It’s very easy to mold potato salad after it’s chilled in the fridge. You should try it!

CarolineNo Gravatar May 7, 2009 at 7:36 am

Thank you Anna!! I’ve been so busy and haven’t had the chance to check back for your answer, but thank you for explaining!! ^_^ I will try it because I’m happy to say that you have inspired me to make bento! :) a few weeks ago I went a bought a whole bunch of bento-making stuff and bento boxes! ^_^ but they are so SMALL..hehe my boyfriend saw them and exclaimed that it would just be like a snack for him and not a meal! xD.so i’m thinking those bento boxes will just be for me and I’ll just buy a plain, large clear tupperware box for him!

Anyway, i have a few more questions, if you don’t mind answering! :)

1) So does that mean that kamaboko is different from fish sausage/fake sausage? And can I buy this fake sausage in markets like Japanese grocery stores like Nijiya..in the refrigerated section?

2) What did you use to support yoshi’s leg (underneath the cheese, lettuce, and carrots) in the SSBB bento? I can see that it’s a block of something…but i can’t tell exactly what it is! hehe.

3) Can you please please do a “How to make potato croquettes” post whenever you have the time to do so? :) i think they are DELICIOUS (tried them for the first time last month) but I have no idea how the outside can be so crispy while the inside is so perfectly mushy!

Thank you!! :D