header-plush_behemoth.jpg

bento #27: Wall-E

January 20, 2009

in american,bento

When the trailer for “Wall-E” came out, my boyfriend was really excited about it. I’ve watched many different kinds of teasers, but all I thought “Okay… So, it’s Johnny Five in CG.” Even thought it’s by Pixar, I really didn’t expect anything at all.

Bento #27: Wall-E bento
Created and eaten on: 12/04/2008

After 10 minutes into the movie with no dialogue, no explanation, no introduction of the characters… I was in love with it already. I don’t know how to explain it, but the fact that more than half of the major characters in the film almost didn’t talk at all just made me rethink American animated films.

Maybe because I grew up watching Miyazaki films, I just can’t stand animated films where characters talk and constantly explain what’s happening, so I never cared too much about them… until I saw Wall-E. My boyfriend and I just couldn’t get enough of Wall-E. It was such a pleasant surprise. (Especially for me since I didn’t expect much to begin with.) I spent about half an hour trying to write what I felt about watching Wall-E, but I just don’t think I can explain it well. I suggest you just watch it, and you’ll know what I mean.

Anyway, I’m going to move on to the actual bento… When I started drawing sketches, I thought of what food I could use. I knew I was going to make Wall-E and EVE with eggs, but then it’d be just egg and rice, so I started thinking about how to put meat and veggie in the bento. Something brownish… garbage cubes! Something green… plant!

First I spread rice in a bento box, and I made meat cubes with Japanese style hamburg for the garbage cubes just like the bricks from Super Smash Bros. Brawl bento, and placed them on the rice. For Wall-E’s body, I made a rice cube and wrapped it with an egg sheet (see “how to make an egg sheet”). Then I made his treads with rice mixed with black sesame seed and salt (see “how to dye rice naturally”), I cut strips seaweed and put them on the treads.

I cut a piece of the remaining egg sheet and kamaboko (fish cake for Wall-E’s arms, seaweed for its stripes, and sliced konnyaku for his little hands and put them on his body. I cut konnyaku (yam cake) for Wall-E’s neck and eyes, and I sliced kamaboko to put underneath konnyaku for the height. Then I cut seaweed to wrap it around his eyes and for the pupils.

For EVE, I used two hard-boiled quail eggs. One for her body, and another one for her head and her hands. (I eat whatever is left over :P ) Then I cut seaweed for the black part of her face, and I cut a piece of kamaboko which I had dyed with red cabbage (see “how to dye eggs naturally” although it’s not egg, red cabbage works the same way) into the shape of her eyes, and put them on the seaweed.

After the meat cubes, Wall-E and EVE were placed in the bento, I put broccoli and asparagus between the meat cube for the “plant” in the post-apocalypse world. Then I realized that the bento was too yellow, white and brown, so I made flowers with carrot to brighten up the bento. I was going to finish this bento here, but it still looked like it was lacking the color. So at the very end I decided to add “Wall-E” letters.

As many of you know, this bento made it to Gizmodo, kottke, reddit, etc…, giving me a lot more publicity than I expected. Some people said it’s just not practical, and some people thought it’s cool. I’ve never had so many people commenting on a bento I made for my boyfriend, so I had mixed feelings about it at first. But if one person think that “oh, I didn’t know food can do that”, or “Maybe I can make it for my kids!”, I think it’s all so worth it. :)

Wall-E:
- rice wrapped with egg sheet (see “how to make an egg sheet”) for his body
- seaweed on cheese and carrot for his label
- seaweed on rice mixed with black sesame seed and salt for his tread
- konnyaku (yam cake) and seaweed for his neck and eyes

EVE:
- quail egg
- kamaboko dyed with red cabbage juice on seaweed (see “how to dye eggs naturally”)

Garbage cubes:
- Japanese style hamburg

Flowers:
- carrot

Other food:
- broccoli
- asparagus
- rice
- lettuce

AlexNo Gravatar January 21, 2009 at 5:36 am

I first came across your site because of the Wall-E Bento, and I love what you’ve been able to accomplish. I’m somewhat new to cooking in general, but I’ve been collecting ideas and following your lessons to hopefully make something for my girlfriend at some point.

The Wall-E one is ridiculously cool, but almost everything I’ve seen here is so impressive. Thanks a lot!

clairebellNo Gravatar January 21, 2009 at 7:23 am

Anna, would it be possible to get a source on the Japanese hamburger recipe? Fantastic idea and pristine execution!

dana :)No Gravatar January 21, 2009 at 7:31 am

Oh my how I love your work!!! Inspires me to make healthy food more appealing to my kids. Love it!

JenniNo Gravatar January 21, 2009 at 8:19 am

Wall-E is what brought me to your site, too. And you’ve been an inspiration. I don’t really have the time to do things quite as complex as you do, but some of your smaller techniques have inspired me to try new and different things with my bentos. So yeah. It’s worth it.

Heidi DNo Gravatar January 21, 2009 at 4:48 pm

My first thought was,”I didn’t know you could do that with food.”

I think you are a very talented artist. :)

It’s funny that you mention not liking American animation. I guess it’s all in what you grow up watching. I felt the same way about Japanese animation. I have grown to like some of it. Some of the aspects still get on my nerves though, but again, it’s not what I am used too.

I do really like Miyazaki. I put “My Neighbor Totoro” at the top of my Netflix cue, just because of your bento. :)

AngelNo Gravatar January 22, 2009 at 4:01 am

AAAAH so cute! I loved wall’e and really like Miyazaki’s films as well. Your bento’s are definitely inspiring.

SileNo Gravatar January 22, 2009 at 6:05 am

The detail!!!! I’d have a hard time eating that bento. Just the little Eve egg is way too cute to NOM.

You should totally put out a book! :D

VinmomNo Gravatar January 23, 2009 at 6:48 pm

This is just amazing, I found some of your stuff on the Geekology blog and fell in love. This is amazing. And for those people that ask “what’s the point?” For fun! They are just amazing, and you really made Wall-E as cute as he is in the movie!

RaiulBaztepoNo Gravatar March 28, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Hello!
Very Interesting post! Thank you for such interesting resource!
PS: Sorry for my bad english, I’v just started to learn this language ;)
See you!
Your, Raiul Baztepo

PiterKokonizNo Gravatar April 7, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Hello !! ^_^
I am Piter Kokoniz. Just want to tell, that I like your blog very much!
And want to ask you: what was the reasson for you to start this blog?
Sorry for my bad english:)
Thank you!
Your Piter Kokoniz, from Latvia

MerNo Gravatar September 15, 2009 at 11:56 pm

This is an impressive bento! Am I only imagining that wistful look in Wall-E’s eyes?

Emilia TokesNo Gravatar May 8, 2010 at 3:57 pm

You are beyond incredible ! Your whole blog is an inspiration, but this bento deserves an Oscar of Bento Creativity !!

Mike Edward Moras (e-sushiâ„¢)No Gravatar March 18, 2011 at 2:54 am

Too cute to eat if you ask me. Seems there still is some art in food too! ;)

Midori Shop 8No Gravatar April 21, 2012 at 1:48 am

Hi, such a wonderful and very inspirational idea!
We upload your images in our facebook page for inspirations to all bentoers who visit our page . we provide a link back to here…please kindly visit and like our FB page too ^^

uciNo Gravatar October 6, 2012 at 7:01 am

ist so wonderfull idea for food.. i like it

e-etcNo Gravatar March 26, 2013 at 7:45 pm

This is a late revisit to your post but your work has inspired me for a very long time! I finally got the courage to start my own food/fashion blog and created a wall-e bento post (crediting your image). Thanks for the inspirational ideas, I look forward to more <3