header-nonbento_kiki.jpg

How to make a Wall-E sandwich

December 21, 2008

in characters,how-to

EDIT: Before you read the How to make a Wall-E sandwich…
I’ve discovered that some people posted the entire page of How to make a Wall-E sandwich on their website/blog. I’m glad that they felt the urge to spread the joy of Wall-E sandwich to others, and I’m sure they didn’t mean any harm, but I spend a long time making & writing this how-to’s with my boyfriend. I don’t have a problem with anyone blogging about my bento using the pictures, but when you do, please make sure you properly credit it with a link to my site. I don’t like asking people to remove posts from their blog and I do not want to stop doing this either… Thank you.- Anna

After my Wall-E bento hit the internet, things got a little crazy. Now Wall-E’s view count on my boyfriend’s flickr is more than 85400! Seems like a lot of them have never seen kyaraben before, and I was happy that they got to know about it. Every time someone leaves a comment like “I want to make this for my kids/husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend!”, it makes me glad that I made it. At the same time it makes me want to teach them how, because I think making your loved one happy is what kyaraben is about.

I’ve been wanting to do “how to make Wall-E bento”, but my original Wall-E bento had a lot of Asian ingredients, and I wasn’t sure if everyone could get all those ingredients. (such as seaweed, kamaboko, and konnyaku) So I decided to make Wall-E into a sandwich!

This one is super simple and easy. I’m sure you can add tons of details to it and make it more Wall-E like. But as long as he has the box body, treads and the sad eyes, he’ll be Wall-E enough! (Hopefully…)

[How to make a Wall-E sandwich]
- Four slices of whole wheat bread
- Turkey & mayonnaise (or ham, or peanut butter, whatever you want!)
- American cheese singles
- Blueberry

1. Take the crust off the bread (all four of them) carefully. Do not throw away the crust! You’ll need them later. Also don’t cut the crust with a knife, you need the corner piece of the crust.

The crust doesn't have to be a complete loop. You'll need two corners at the bottom.

2. Cut the bread into a square.

3. Spread mayo on the bread, put a slice of turkey on top, and put bread on the top. This will be Wall-E’s body.

4. Cut two slice of bread into four triangles. You’ll have total of 8 mini-triangles. 4 triangles will be Wall-E’s treads, and 4 triangles will be Wall-E’s eyes.

5. Make two turkey sandwiches out of four of eight triangles.

These will be Wall-Es wheels

6. Wrap the crust corner around the triangle piece.

These will be Wall-E's treads

7. Cut the two sharp points of the four triangles with a spoon. These will be the eyes.

Looks complicated? See more photos at my flickr page!

8. Make two turkey sandwiches out of #7.

9. Put a piece of crust for the neck, and place his eyes and treads by his body.

10. For his arms, cut crust 1-inch long X 2. Cut cheese into the same size as the crust, and cut it for the stripes.

11. Cut crust to make his hands.

12. Put his hands on the body, and cut a blueberry in half and put it on its eyes.

13. You can finish at #12. But if you want to make Wall-E’s body yellow like the real one, you can put cheese on his body like this one below. (If you’re doing this, you can probably use normal white bread too)

It’s four slices of bread, so it’s not much, but I think kids can eat it without being too full.
For his eyes, you can use a glass or something round to take the sharp points of the triangles, but I used a spoon, so anyone (even kids) could do this without worry about breaking anything.

I kept all crust that I didn’t use. I think I’m gonna make bread pudding with them. Sandwich AND desert! Oh Wall-E, you’re so full of yumminess. =P

You can see more pictures of “How to make Wall-E sandwich” on my flickr page.
And if you have any questions about any of my how-to’s, please feel free to leave a comment or email me!

MonicaNo Gravatar December 22, 2008 at 6:50 am

Thanks for this! I was inspired to make Wall-E from your last bento for my 4yr old, but couldn’t quite figure out how to “westernize” it for her. We did try quail eggs for the first time because of it, though. I’ve been bentoing about 3 years, and always wanted to do a kyraben, but hubby wouldn’t quite go for it. I’ve been afraid of doing all the work for my preschooler only to throw her lunchbox in the big basket in the AM and open up a mess at lunch. She’d go for a sandwich though, and I think it’s thick enough to not shift in her bento box.

MargoNo Gravatar December 22, 2008 at 7:55 am

If I made this, I could never eat it. I would just sit there and stare at it – SO ADORABLE.

R W ONo Gravatar December 22, 2008 at 9:41 am

oh god ! That’s so delicious but I can’t eat that sweet eyes :) )

PhoebeNo Gravatar December 22, 2008 at 10:36 am

I think my kids will love this! Do you have any recommendations on how to keep Wall-E intact if I pack it for their school lunch? I’m thinking plastic wrap and some fillers on top….

PavelNo Gravatar December 22, 2008 at 11:48 am

Wow, that’s really creative. ^^

KellyNo Gravatar December 22, 2008 at 8:01 pm

My son will flip when he sees his lunch tomorrow! Thanks so much for sharing!

MabNo Gravatar December 22, 2008 at 8:13 pm

I just wanted to say I’ve been reading your blog since you started it and the tutorials are so awesome and inspiring and that I’ve made two charabens in the past month. You make everything look so easy, I can’t wait to make a Wall-E in the upcoming days!

Wendy LeowNo Gravatar December 22, 2008 at 9:07 pm

thanks! you always make it look so easy!!! i so love this!!

heatherNo Gravatar December 22, 2008 at 11:48 pm

I just recieved your message on my blog. I’m so sorry I only recieved the ONE message from you which asked me to remove this and I did so immediatly, I never recieved any other. I apologize, I never saw any other comment.

I just saw this posted on ohnotheydidn’t and was not aware it was not repostable with a source added to it. I’m sorry I just thought it was neat.

IsisNo Gravatar December 23, 2008 at 4:01 am

I loved!!!!! So beautiful!!!! Congratulations from Brazil.

VancityAllieNo Gravatar December 23, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Wow that’s seriously amazing! So cute! Thanks for the tutorial :)

Cecilia BarrosoNo Gravatar December 23, 2008 at 2:03 pm

I knew you blog in a brazilian newspaper.
Congratulations for this wonderful job and thanks for show us how to do it.

jennaNo Gravatar December 24, 2008 at 12:52 pm

how to keep wall-e intact: use a bento box!

VickyNo Gravatar December 24, 2008 at 2:10 pm

I can’t believe some people took the how-to without properly crediting you :/ Hopefully they edit their posts.

J. F. ToledoNo Gravatar December 28, 2008 at 5:53 am

I have tried to make a Wall-E-wich like yours. I took some pictures and posted here. My wife loved it.
Thank you for sharing your art!

athena KNo Gravatar December 30, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Thank you for this post… amazing artwork, sketches make it all the more amazing! You’ve truly taken urban art to another level.

ivanaNo Gravatar January 2, 2009 at 5:14 pm

this is totes adorbs!

Lena SofiaNo Gravatar January 25, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I love your bentos! Thanks for sharing!

HeatherNo Gravatar January 25, 2009 at 6:30 pm

Thanks for sharing! I am going to link to this from http://www.littlenummies.net

Thanks!
Heather

AshleyNo Gravatar January 25, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Awesome!!! Thank you sooo much. My kids are going to eat this up:)

NatsukoNo Gravatar February 2, 2009 at 6:15 am

As a Wall-E ( and EVE! ) addict, I’ll bring this for lunch @ work. Really.

I’ll show this to my parents in Yokohama, Japan who just seen the movie and became big fan like I am.

Thank you so much (^.^)/~

OpKodeNo Gravatar February 5, 2009 at 10:30 am

I will be making this for my boyfriend :D

FionaNo Gravatar February 19, 2009 at 7:34 am

Love it…thank you so much for sharing!!

SLNo Gravatar March 12, 2009 at 1:55 am

You’re truly a creative artist! My 4 year old son will love this. He will start school in August and I’m looking for ideas for his daily bento lunches. Thank you so much for your inspirational ideas and please keep it up!

OniqueNo Gravatar May 18, 2009 at 12:23 am

You are amazing, Anna! Love your creativity and thank you for sharing the step by step tutorials. I am a fan of Wall E and Eve – made this for my bf’s birthday and he just love it. Thank You ^-^

aamoraNo Gravatar May 18, 2009 at 12:06 pm

omg this is amazing i cant wait tog o home and try it cuz im at school right now im going to make it for my little sisters…….and cuzins their going to love it thanks….

imNo Gravatar August 6, 2009 at 12:20 pm

very cute…can’t wait to make it for my 3 yr old! he is a BIG fan of wall-e. i’m afraid he might not want to eat it thought. LOL

TraciNo Gravatar August 9, 2009 at 5:14 pm

My 5 year old refused to eat it. He licked a blueberry half and then started crying and put it back. LMAO! It’s pretty cute, though!

cha22No Gravatar August 16, 2009 at 1:37 am

wow.. its delicious !!!! im lovent it

Eva NgNo Gravatar September 27, 2009 at 9:15 am

Thanks Anna for cool instructions. And this is such so efficient use of Bread! Some Bento Sandwiches are very wasteful This is the best one I’ve seen yet.

I make Bentos for my Husband (34) and Brother (26) And they are the most envied people in their office *grin*

To those ladies who have manly husbands just ignore their complaints and make them the bentos. When they get envious colleagues theyll know theyre on a winner!

CarolNo Gravatar November 29, 2009 at 11:53 am

WONDERFUL!
My boyfriend loves wall-e and he’ll be glad with having a wall-e sandwich for dinner

=D

CrisNo Gravatar March 17, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Anna,
Thank you very much for this Incredible idea… My son will turn 4 in a couple of weeks and he adores Wall-e, it was the only request he made for his Birthday!! I’ll be making it to take to his school and celebrate it with his classmates!

MichelleNo Gravatar May 28, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Loved your tutorial. Published a link to it in my blog…

MARIENo Gravatar August 9, 2010 at 2:19 am

GREAT IDEA I’LL TRY IT! THANKS!

anieNo Gravatar March 19, 2012 at 3:20 am

Wow..looks so beautiful..my son love wall’e n eva thank you so creative n I want to made to..I love it :*

NicoleNo Gravatar June 12, 2012 at 5:54 pm

AMAZING!!!! My son started cracking up when he saw this.

annatheredNo Gravatar December 24, 2008 at 7:26 pm

Sorry for a late reply to your question, Phoebe. The best way to keep Wall-E sandwich intact is just like Jenna suggested, put it in a bento box, and keep it flat. Try surrounding the empty space with fruits & veggies, so Wall-E doesn’t shift around too much. (His neck might be buried under other food though…) I’ll try to come up with a school lunch friendly way to pack Wall-E sandwich soon!