Well it’s not really “dyeing” rice, more like how to change the color of rice for your bento. I use these methods a lot to make Totoro, or backgrounds with rice. It’s not much, but since rice is white, changing the color of rice can make a quite difference in your bento.
[How to dye rice gray-ish] (used in “Sleeping Totoro”, etc…)
- black sesame seed (with a sesame seed grinder or mortar and pestle)
1. Grind black sesame seeds on hot rice (microwave the rice if it’s cold) and mix it well
2. Add a bit of salt as you mix the rice. Add more black sesame seeds to make it darker.
1. Mix a bit of curry powder into hot rice. (microwave the rice if it’s cold)
2. Put a bit of ketchup into the rice and mix it well.
I always put “a bit of” for the measurement of the ingredients, but it’s always safe to mix a small amount of spice/ingredients, and then add a bit more later if needed.
You can see more pictures of “How to dye rice” on my flickr page.
And if you have any questions about any of my how-to’s, please feel free to leave a comment or email me!