header-nonbento_rabbidcookies.jpg

How to make an egg sheet

November 16, 2008

in basics,how-to

Every Sunday, I’m going to post random stuff. It could be a neat trick for making kyaraben, or a super easy & yummy food recipe I found, etc…

Today, I’d like to share “how to make a super durable egg sheet.” Later I’ll also show you how to make flowers using the egg sheet. In Japan, they sell “obento sheet” at the supermarket. It’s an edible sheet which comes in three colors, yellow, orange, and green. (egg, carrot and spinach) It’s very durable, so people cut it with scissors or a knife to make cute characters or various decorations for kyaraben. It’s almost impossible to get “obento sheet” in the U.S., but I found instructions for “how to make your own obento sheet” online.

[How to make an egg sheet (thin omelette)]
- one egg
- 1/2 tbs of corn starch

1. Crack an egg, and take the white blob thingy out. (so you don’t get a white lumpy spot on your omelette)

2. Beat the egg well.

3. Put 1 tbs of water in a bowl, put cornstarch in it, and stir it well. *If you put water on the cornstarch, it’ll be lumpy and takes longer dissolve.

cornstarch on water, not water on cornstarch

cornstarch in water, not water on cornstarch

4. Put #3 into a beaten egg, and mix it well.

5. Heat a pan, and put a bit of oil in. Using a paper towel, spread the oil all over the pan, and remove excess oil.

6. Pour #4 into the pan. Make sure the egg is evenly spread.

7. Try and see if you can peel off the edge of the egg. If you can, peel just a little bit of the edge all around the pan. (I use chopsticks to gently loosen the edge.)

8. Stop the heat, and let the egg cool off for a minute or so.

9. Carefully pick up the edge of the egg with fingers, and peel it up, and put the top side down on the pan. *The pan may be still very HOT, so please be careful not to touch the pan.

DO NOT TOUCH THE PAN!

DO NOT TOUCH THE PAN!

10. Turn on the heat, and cook the egg in low heat for about 10 seconds.

And now you have an obento sheet!

And now you have an obento sheet!

It looks like there are lot of steps, but it’ll take less than 5 minutes from step 6 to 10.
The great part of this is that you can freeze the egg sheet!
Just sandwich the egg sheet with saran wrap and put it in a ziplock.

Next time you use it, just take the sheet out, leave it out for about a minute, then it’s good to go!
You can also see “how to make an egg sheet” on my flickr page.

You can also check out more “how to’s”on my blog and my flickr page.

AngeleyesNo Gravatar January 17, 2009 at 10:11 am

Oh thanks for sharing this one! The egg sheets are expensive! Maybe can make with some coloring so can have different colors too!

TrekkieGrrrlNo Gravatar April 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Awesome! Especially the part about freezing them! I’ll be making egg sheets galore for my bentos now!

It’s the corn starch that does the trick! I’ve made them with plain egg and they fall apart.

SharonNo Gravatar June 30, 2009 at 9:38 am

Thanks for the tip !Anw, do you need to separate the egg sheets with smth(like a cling wrap)?

sawhsterNo Gravatar September 12, 2009 at 7:41 pm

thank you so awesome!

JessicaNo Gravatar February 20, 2010 at 10:45 am

Hi :) Why do you use corn starch ?

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar February 22, 2010 at 1:13 am

Hi Jessica
Corn starch will make an egg sheet stronger, and it’ll be easier to make sunflowers or other decorations using the egg sheet. But too much corn starch will make the egg sheet hard and chewy so make sure you don’t put too much!

JessicaNo Gravatar February 28, 2010 at 7:21 am

Ok ! Thanks :) In France, we call it “maïzena” or “fécule de maïs”.

polohotNo Gravatar May 20, 2010 at 5:49 pm

do you know how to make it crispy??

katNo Gravatar August 6, 2011 at 12:23 am

How long will a frozen egg sheet keep?

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar August 12, 2011 at 10:48 am

I’d use it in a week or two. If you keep it longer, it starts to get dry and it doesn’t taste good either.

MeilindaNo Gravatar October 24, 2011 at 11:44 am

I love all the great stuff on your website and thanks for sharing this awesome tips :)

JolNo Gravatar March 9, 2012 at 8:55 am

Hi,your web is really helpful ! Thanks for sharing all this awesome tips ^^ Btw,can you teach us how to make crepes ?? Would really appreciate alot if you did !

シャりーNo Gravatar August 11, 2012 at 9:45 am

Thanks for sharing this! Your blog is great!! I have tried making this egg omelette but I always can’t get even colour. Some parts of my egg will turn brown even though I use low heat ;( not sure why. I might want to try on my gas stove (the earlier ones were made using induction stove -which seems too hot and uneven in the heat, I think) any tips?

Oh could u please show how to cut it into the omelette flower in Kyaraben… Pleaseeeee

AnnaTheRedNo Gravatar August 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm

It’s not really a trick but the second egg sheet always comes out so much nicer and even colored than the first one. I think the first batch evens out the heat on the pan. And for the omelette flower, I actually have a how-to of it. Check out the “How To” tab -> “Decorations.”